Can't add users to groups via dropdown list

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 18.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu 18.04.4
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.27
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Can’t add users to groups via dropdown list

The dropdown list seems to be transparent. Clicking on a group in the list has no effect.
I can add a user to a group by directly typing the group name and hitting enter.

The …/settings/users site seems to be a bit buggy. Tested with 2 different browsers.

And is it right that I can’t edit the Admin user/ adding him to groups? No “edit symbol” showing…
Actually the admin user is already member of some groups (from which I can’t get him off now…)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Try to add a user to a group
  2. Try to edit the admin user

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I have the same issue. I cannot add my main (admin) account to any groups, nor remove it from any groups. Using 18.0.1.

A workaround is to do actions via the command line, e.g. to add a user to a group:

sudo -u www-data php occ group:adduser groupname username

Ok, this seems to be a “feature” for security reasons. If there is only one member in the admin group you can’t edit this one (was this possible in former versions?!). Add more users to the admin group and the logged in admin can now edit the other admins…

Couldn’t this be solved by simply not letting the last admin kick himself out of the admin group???

The …/settings/users site still seems to be a bit buggy though…

Agreed that it’s buggy. I’d created a separate post about the admin not being able to edit his/her own account. I elevated a second user to admin, and that user could edit mine, and I could edit hers, but we each couldn’t edit our own… Seems like a less than optimal arrangement.

Regarding the dropdown, I couldn’t add when it’s dropped down but if the entry was near the bottom of the page and the dropdown menu goes up instead of down, then I could click on a group name to add the user to. Also, you can manually type the group name and hit enter to add the person to that group.