Cannot view long file paths for sync errors

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.2.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): replace me
PHP version (eg, 7.4): replace me

The issue you are facing:

Unless I am missing something incredibly basic: Unlike older versions (or indeed owncloud previously) it is no longer possible for a desktop client user to view the full text of sync log errors (eg about files that have failed to sync) when the file path is long.

The pop-up window from the client process (which cannot be resized) shows only the first part of the file path. The desktop client shows the tail end of the file path.

Clicking on the pop-up takes you to the server’s web-page, but doesn’t show the log entry or log file (or even indicate where it might be or how to view it).

Clicking on the truncated entry in the desktop client main window (which used to open the logfile data in a new desktop window so you could read it in full), now simply opens the unsizeable popup!

Refering to the docs doesn’t help as they fail to say where the logfile might be found or how it might be viewed and contain a comment saying that documentation on this is yet to be addressed.

Is there any way in which a desktop client user can get to see a list of files (including the path etc) that have problems?

Thanks

Mike

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

NOT RELEVANT as this does not contain details of sync errors!
The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

Please find the logfile in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\Nextcloud.log

Is there really no other solution than to search through an endless log file? Before it was really easy to fix sync errors, but the current client does not display the complete file path (only /basefolder/longfoldername…) anymore and clicking on the entry opens the ‘Sync Conflict’ window which asks me

Confliciting versions of reallygenericfilename.file
Which file do you want to keep?

How should I know, when I don’t know which file this is about. I have several files with the same filename distributed over multiple folders. I cannot resolve the errors without investing a lot of time, because I first have to find out which file is concerned. And usually i need to merge the files and cannot simply keep one or the other.

Solution ideas:

• Show the full file path while hovering over the conflict entry.
  • Add option to go to the folder in the overflow menu
  • Show all relevant info in the ‘Sync Conflict’ resolution window (i.e. the full file path) and add a button to the relevant folder.

You must compare the contents of the conflicting files or rename one to keep both.

Exit Nextcloud desktop, remove the nextcloud.log, run Nextcloud desktop and check the content after the error appeared.

Unfortunatelly the developers of the desktop-app do not care, to make the full folder- and filename visible, if a filename is mentioned in the main window.