Cannot update from 25.0.13

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.13
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Setup Nextcloud in the environment detailed above
  2. Note the message informing you that you should upgrade PHP
  3. Upgrade PHP to 8.0
  4. Lose access to your site
  5. Move back to PHP 7.4 and the site is back

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

There is no entry in the log that coincides with the server error that is received when PHP is upgraded to 8.0

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => '########',
  'passwordsalt' => '########',
  'secret' => '##########',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'www.######',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/######',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.13.2',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => '########',
  'dbname' => '########',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => '##########',
  'dbpassword' => '############',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => '####',
  'mail_domain' => '########',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtphost' => '########',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'filelocking.enabled' => true,
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => 'localhost',
    'port' => 6379,
    'timeout' => 0.0,
    'password' => '',
  ),
  'default_phone_region' => 'JP',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

I see only the following three lines in the log related to this site.

2024/05/16 08:07:15 [error] 28149#28149: *194 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught OCP\HintException: [0]: Memcache \OC\Memcache\Redis not available for local cache (Is the matching PHP module installed and enabled?)

thrown in /var/www/html/shlrc/lib/private/Memcache/Factory.php on line 90" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.11.2, server: www.mysite.com, request: "GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9003", host: "www.mysite.com"
2024/05/16 08:08:14 [error] 28149#28149: *209 open() "/var/www/html/shlrc/favicon.ico" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 192.168.11.2, server: www.mysite.com, request: "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1", host: "www.mysite.com", referrer: "https://www.mysite.com/"

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

Nothing from the time frame when this issue was most recently replicated

My basic question here is:

Is bumping from PHP 7.4 to 8.0 too much of an increment for Nextcloud to handle in terms of the web based upgrade process?

I am displayed the following error from within the system:

* You are currently running PHP 7.4.33. Upgrade your PHP version to take advantage of [performance and security updates provided by the PHP Group ↗](https://secure.php.net/supported-versions.php) as soon as your distribution supports it.

However, if I upgrade to 8.0 I lose access to the system. Note - I am using multiple versions of PHP via fpm pools. I can move back and forth between them relatively easily. I have confirmed that this is not an issue with other web apps such as Moodle, and Limesurvey.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Do you have installed these php modules in php 8.0 as well?

1 Like

tflidd,

Thank you a million for pointing out the obvious to me. After staring at the screen for the better part of a day, doing related work, I somehow couldn’t see something that was right in front of me. :frowning:

Just installed redis for php-8.0 and memcached as well and now have access to the site when running with php-8.0

And, if I’d just noticed the content of the error, it wouldn’t have been that hard to find other similar posts here in the forums. :frowning:

Thank you again for the gentle prod. It’s exactly what I needed.

Cheers

For reference for anyone who stumbles onto this:

sudo apt-get install php8.0-memcached
sudo apt-get install php8.0-redis

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.