Cannot reset password (for several email addresses!)

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.1.1.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 11
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.18.0
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

I’ve successfully (I think) set up my own instance of Nextcloud on a remote machine. I can log in through the portal with my admin account, but not with a regular account.

1. When I try to create an account using either address1@gmail.com or address2@gmail.com at the link: https://nextcloud.com/signup/, I get Error: User already exists. I don’t really remember creating accounts with them in the past - or maybe something through the GitHub OAuth thing, but I deactivated it later so I don’t have any trace of it.

2. Now, when I try to log in on my newly created instance with either of these addresses, I get Wrong email/password.
    And when I try the Reset password option, my logs over at /var/www/nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log tell me “Could not send password reset email: Could not find user”. Full line:

{
    "reqId":"XnI6uW8xHG59CuRQeYfb",
    "level":2,
    "time":"2021-09-15T15:26:51+00:00",
    "remoteAddr":"2a01:cb04:527:7500:1cad:37cd:4b1f:6375",
    "user":"--",
    "app":"core",
    "method":"POST",
    "url":"/lostpassword/email",
    "message":"Could not send password reset email: Could not find user",
    "userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML,
     like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.15.2 Chrome/83.0.4103.122 Safari/537.36",
    "version":"22.1.1.2"
}

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): This is my first time using Nextcloud.

Steps to replicate it: I wouldn’t know…

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: I don’t know where to find this; I looked in the Nextcloud interface using my admin account.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

$CONFIG = array (
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => 'cloud.myserver.com',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '22.1.1.2',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://localhost',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'oc_admin',
  'installed' => true,
  'maintenance' => false,
);

Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance for any help you’re able to give.

I think the problem is that you signed these accounts up somewhere (via nextcloud.com) but you need to create these accounts on your own instance. So log in with your admin account and create new user accounts for your other users. If you want the users to be able to register/signup themselves, you have to install the Registrations app for that: Registration - Apps - App Store - Nextcloud

/S

Thank you very much for the clear and correct response!