Cannot move or delete files in Nextcloud 28

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.01
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 23.10.1
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Docker AIO
PHP version (eg, 7.4): Docker AIO

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. I try to copy/move a file to a folder in Web UI and can’t
  2. I try to delete a file in Web UI and I can’t
  3. I try to do both on the mobile app and also can’t

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

In the admin logging area it says: error webdav Forbidden Cannot copy or move files from non-encrypted folders to end to end encrypted folders or vice versa.

I tried disabling encryption by following this:

But it didn’t prevent this error.

I had to disable the E2EE app and now the files delete and move, which sorta makes Nextcloud worthless. How do you use E2EE then?

Only from the Nextcloud clients e.g. Windows client. Use it only for real secure data in your Nextcloud.

1 Like

I’ll look on google, but do you know of any guides to set it up right?

Have you enable the end to end encryption? If yes, disable it and test again. I had that problem too…

1 Like

Take a look here:

E2EE and Server Side Encryption are mutually exclusive.

What do you need End to End encrypion for?
That is in fact only, if you do not trust your server admin.

End to end encrypted folders can only be decrypted in clients, not on the server. So it is impossible to add files into the encrypted folder from within the web frontend. That would counteract the reason for end-to-end encryption, namely that the files on the server must not be readable at any time.

ernolf

1 Like