Cannot login with new user after nextcloud 20 -> 21 upgrade

Hi, I cannot login with any user ADMIN or normal user after nextcloud 20 → 21 upgrade.

I was initially able to login to existing accounts , but one by one we were locked out of the accounts.

files are stored on S3 object storage and users where created after the install.

I will log in and download the nextcloud logs now.

Thank Ben

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version = 21.0.1
Operating system= Ubuntu 20.04
Apache latest stable
PHP version 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[no app in context] Warning: Login failed: xxxxx (Remote IP: x.x.x.x)

POST /index.php/login
from x.x.x.x at 2021-04-13T02:39:00+00:00

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I reset all the passwords just using the web interface /and for now it’s working again.
could it be the upgrade didn’t add the passwords to the database or something ?

For some updates, there are updates to the database structure but the content isn’t changed itself. Are you using an external authentication backend?

no external auth backend. Just native nextfile file storage on S3.
I did have the logins will be throttled to 30sec’ message stuck on the login screen for a day or so but that went away after I reset the 1st user. I also have a ton of messages in the nextcloud app on windows having trouble syncing , Attention possible case sensitivity clash. I think that’s something to do with the ‘-’ character used in filenames maybe ? but I doubt it has much to do with logins.

It would be interesting if you have a database backup from before and after the upgrade, so you can compare the user table and ther passwords. Perhaps the encoding somehow changed? Or just some unlucky failed passwords and then the bruteforce/geo-ip/whatever kicked in and prevented further logins?

Yes , since we could log in after the upgrade for a few days before we got locked out probably the bruteforce geo blocking kicked in and got stuck on. will try searching the logs for that although there is a forest of errors from files I tried importing from google drive and drop box which isn’t really working. next time will backup database and compare after upgrade. were not really running a production server , just testing out nextcloud so I didn’t bother with a backup.