Can we delete the updater-ocXXXXXXX folder?

hi

1. Can we delete the old backups, if after the update everything works well and only keep the most recent one? in my case version 28.0.2, because I am in version 28.0.3 and I have backups in version 27.1…,
    or can this break my Nextcloud?
  2. and 2nd little question, since the update there is a new line which has been created in my config.php, what is it for?

THANKS

1.)
You can delete the backup-folder in the folder backup.
I usually keep the latest version and delete the older versions.
I keep
nextcloud-28.0.2.5-1*****
but i delete e.g.
nextcloud-28.0.1.***** and older

1 Like

thanks for the info

2.)
updater.secret is not a new value. It is the (hashed) password required for the update.

The occ upgrade queues a one-time job to cleanup old backups of the updater.

The cleanup then is done here:

Only the latest three backups remain in the backup folder.

The

'updater.secret'  => '64 digit long base64 48 hash',

is used to authenticate the updater with the update server.

This is how the secret is created:

So if you want to build your own updater solution, you can use that line of code :wink:

php -r '$password = trim(shell_exec("openssl rand -base64 48"));if(strlen($password) === 64) {$hash = password_hash($password, PASSWORD_DEFAULT) . "\n"; echo "Insert as \"updater.secret\": ".$hash; echo "The plaintext value is: ".$password."\n";}else{echo "Could not execute OpenSSL.\n";};'

It is nothing sensitive and is removed automaticaly by a background job after 2 days.

Much and good luck,
ernolf

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

@ernolf
Can you explain it? I would like to understand the purpose of this variable. Is it used to protect the Nextcloud from unauthorized updates or is it needed, for example, to individualize the Nextcloud against the update server?

Read this:

ernolf

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.