Can I use nextcloud externally if I have a non public IP?

I have nextcloud up and running and accessible from my internal network. Apparently my ISP offers, “a fixed non-public IPv4 address.”

is it possible to get around that somehow? Can I use a VPN service like tinc? Are there other options? Or will I need to shell out for a public IP if I want external access to my network?

Thanks

Hello,

I had the same issue with my ISP since they weren’t assigning public IP & my router was getting CG-NAT WAP IP.

I used to use AWS EC2 Always free tier VPS along with OpenVPN to connect my NextCloud Home Server with that VPS having Public IP

Now adding two simple IP Table port forwarding rule for port 80/443 via OpenVPN tunnel to my Home Server allowed any one accessing AWS VPS public IP to land at my Home Server running NextCloud

Just beware, AWS allows 100GB outbound traffic bandwidth per month.

Thanks

1 Like

Cloudflare Argo might be worth a look… https://blog.cloudflare.com/a-free-argo-tunnel-for-your-next-project/

I don’t have any experience with it, but it seems to be quite popular with selfhosters and homelabbers, at least if you take r/homelab and r/selfhosted as reference. :wink:

1 Like

I had the same problem, sitting behind DualStack Lite.

My solution: a cheap small virtual server instance (VPS) and reverse ssh.
At your local server execute ssh -p *P1* -N -R *P2*:localhost:80 root@*VPS-IP*
where P1 is the port where the ssh server at the VPS is listening and P2 is the puplic port at the VPS used as entrance.
Now everything from P2 at the VPS is tunneled to port 80 of your server.

To automatically reconnect at timeouts etc use autossh.
If the connection should be automatically build up at boot, put it into cron: @reboot autossh -M 0 -f -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o ServerAliveInterval=60 -o ServerAliveCountMax=2 -p *P1* -N -R *P2*:localhost:80 root@*VPS-IP*