Can I use HTML signature somehow, or not? (Confusing informations)

With the current company, using Outlook, they use an HTML signature. I recently switched from Outlook to Thunderbird and was able to copy/paste the same signature, and it works.

I saw I can use the editor to create a signature, but I cannot add a table, or an image. Furthermore, I made an image public from my Nextcloud instance and was able to replicate my signature and use the image that way in a local HTML file.

I see a lot (I mean, a lot) of posts here and on GH about signature, html and images. And a lot of conflicting information. I was sad to see I cannot simply copy the signature from Outlook/Thunderbird directly to Nextcloud Mail. And I cannot replicate it with the tools provided, as I cannot hotlink an image from the editor.

It would be nice to be able to use the same signature across clients, to avoid confusion from the customer. It would look like we don’t care if the signature vary from email to email. I want to use Nextcloud as my main work station now, but I cannot find a way to make this works.

If this is simply impossible, I will eventually try to maybe make a PR and add a Raw HTML option, but I saw some users to refer to that function, which I cannot find :confused:

Thank you community <3

(Yes, I saw multiple posts saying it’s a security risk, etc, but let’s face it, most corporation uses fancy signatures :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I cannot find a way to make it work either. My impression is that there is some sort of religion at work here. IT folks insist on plain text email and self-invented “standards” like the signature delimiter that people who actually use email outside the small IT bubble neither want nor use.

The insight that an appealing design has positive effects goes back to the Cro Magnon man and is approximately 46.000 years old. Ignoring this (and even mocking the idea, as can be seen in several posts on the topic of html signatures in this forum) is, therefore, a denial of reality.

And it is not a small issue: The mail app cannot be used in a business context if this matter is not resolved. I am aware that I am using free software (yes, also “as in free beer”) and addressing some people who gift their work and time. I am grateful for this; I truely am. But I have the impression that their work will be much more appreciated (and Nextcloud become closer to an all-round enterprise suite) if the mail app aligns with what really is the “standard” in the real world:

Fancy signatures and html emails.

In practical terms:

In a professional context, mail footers are designed using “MailJet Markup Language”, which produces html that carefully walks around the obscurities of email client rendering engines and leads to reproducable results in terms of design output. Thus, it should be possible to simply insert a lump of mjml-generated html code as a default signature.

And the app should lose the “signature delimiter” or at least make it optional. It simply looks 1997 and nobody outside the Cult of Plain Text cares about the intended functionality.

I would very much appreciate if this topic could be picked up and discussed by the development team. To anyone laughing at the business monkeys who insist on ignoring “standards” and not obbeying to the Cult of Plain Text: They are laughing back and continue to use Outlook. We really should overcome this situation. I hate Outlook, fiercefully, and would much rather use an integrated product that runs in a browser.

Thank you.

2 Likes