Call for testing - Android client version 1.5!

On installing I get ā€œThe package appears to be corruptā€ :sweat:

Edit: I tried to install from ADB and got ā€œFailure [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE]ā€. Looks like I had another dev version from master installed. Removed it, and it installed fine now ā€¦ the error message on the phone just was misleading.

Iā€™d been running the dev version on f-droid watching for issues and havenā€™t run into anything for a while now. Iā€™d love to be testing these new features (I have android 7). Needing to overwrite the f-droid dev version is just too painful as I am actually using the client. Is the best way to help you guys going forward to simply use the f-droid stable version and manually load these dev versions posted on the forums for testing when I can? Or will f-droid dev be useful for testing again in the near future (it would be so much more convenient)?

F-droid will be useful for testing again in the near future, I just donā€™t know when because we depend on Google here to fix their toolchain - sorry.

So I thought Iā€™d join in on testing the app and give some feedback, so I downloaded the dev version today and installed it on my Galaxy S8 running Android 7.0. So far I have experimented with auto-uploading from the /DCIM/Camera folder only, and I have configured the app to upload images irregardless of wifi-connection status. I have only been testing while connected to wifi, however. Below are some initial observations.

Auto uploading has so far started near-instantaneous which I also expect it to.

The default setting of ā€œkept in original folderā€ causes the photo to be kept in DCIM/Camera as expected. However, when browsing the upload folder in Nextcloud immediately after taking the photo, the photo shows only placeholder thumbnail and no little green icon. I would expect it to indeed show a proper thumbnail and also the little green icon indicating that it exists physically both in the cloud as well as on my phone. Tapping on the photo loads a large view of the photo, as expected, but tapping the back arrow doesnā€™t change anything in the list, and thus still only placeholder thumbnail and no green icon is shown.

The ā€œmove to app folderā€ exhibits some weird/unexpected behavior as well. I would expect the photo to be moved to the ā€œ/nextcloud/example@example.com/uploadFolderā€ folder as well as the green icon being displayed on the thumbnail in the list. What happens, however, is as follows. After taking the photo - and before opening the Nextcloud app - navigating to the upload folder via the file manager does indeed reveal that the photo has been moved to this location. However, when opening the upload folder from within the Nextcloud app, for a brief moment the photo is shown as expected along with both proper thumbnail and green icon, but the icon disappears after about 1 second. Going back to the upload folder in the file manager reveals that the photo has been deleted from the folder and thus doesnā€™t exist on the device anymore. Highly unexpected.

Choosing the ā€œdeletedā€ option does indeed remove the photo from the device after uploading it, but thereā€™s still only a placeholder thumbnail in the list (and no green icon, which is to be expected in this case). And like in the other case, tapping the photo and tapping back doesnā€™t change anything.

Thatā€™s my initial testing for now, I hope it serves as useful feedback

1 Like

Thanks, youā€™re awesome!

I canā€™t even get pass the login screen. What am I missing? After entering the server URI I get passed on to the web login form. After entering either password or app-phrase I try to login but nothing happens.

:-/

Summoning @tobiasKaminsky to investigate the login issueā€¦

Does the button changes when you click login? What phone/OS?

The button does not change. Nor does the checkbox for stay logged in.

Samsung Galaxy A3 2016; Android 6.0.1/7.0 (same thing after upgrade).

I suspect that this is a device problem.
I tested it with another samsung based device (s5 neo) and it is working on my own server.
To rule out that there is a problem with your server, can you please give us the server url to android at nextcloud dot com?
I will then try to login with random username/ password to see if the login button is available.

Hi again, I upgraded to the latest dev from F-droid and now it works. I can log in. Also the new version is Lovely.

Thanks for the positive feedback :slight_smile:
So I assume this is solved for you as the next version will be soon available.

Did anyone put the picture viewer back in the app so we donā€™t have to download each and every photo to view it?

This is in the dev version and will be in the next feature release after the current oneā€¦

Is that like the dev release weā€™re testing here, or another dev release, and the next feature release being 2.0 since weā€™re on 1.4.3 orā€¦?

The next feature release will be 2.0 so the image viewer feature is planned for 2.1

2 Likes

@Andy @tobiasKaminsky

a big YAAAAAY and congrats for releasing app 2.0.0 today. thanks for all your hard work. much appreciated.

so now that version 2.0.0 (final) is on my mobile am i out of the beta-channel again, automatically? meaning: do i need to sign up again if more beta-testing for a new version is needed?

1 Like

Youā€™ll stay in the beta until you leave :slight_smile:

2 Likes

awww. ok. blond me!! just found it myself. thanks to your hint @JasonBayton

1 Like