Broken/ incomplete output after update from 24.0.7 to 25.0.1

i have a self hosted installation and just did the update from version 24.0.7 to 25.0.1 using the built-In Updater. I look good till the moment i had to click on the button to end the maintenance mode and go on with the webupdater. It made a request but the page is white. If i take a look into the htmlcode i see this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html class="ng-csp" data-placeholder-focus="false" lang="de" data-locale="de" >
	<head
 data-requesttoken="dqGiMsg0d8IQHWYymFRlv/YFqDDdKX4qvi+3ohdqSa4=:QujyZ6MNAbZIfydf/zwd2s5Uy1WuWxxdzhvHxCEyAco=">
		<meta charset="utf-8">
		<title>
			Nextcloud		</title>
		<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, minimum-scale=1.0">
				<meta name="apple-itunes-app" content="app-id=1125420102">
				<meta name="theme-color" content="#0082c9">
		<link rel="icon" href="

That’s it. Nothing more. It ends in the middle of the link-tag. It’s broken but i have no idea why.

There’s one thing i did minutes before. I added these lines into my htaccess.

php_value memory_limit 512M
php_value max_execution_time 7200
php_value upload_max_filesize 256m

It looked as it did not work, because my provider does not support it. The red error message in the admin menu talking about too less memory did not vanish. And so i clicked the update-button without removing those lines.

As a developer i do know what these lines should do. I am unsure if the edit has effected the update process. I doubt it but i dont want to hide it, because the html output is exactly 512 chars long … matching the memory_limit “512M”. That is not quite what i wanted to achieve but its a too perfect match to be a coincidence.

SPECS
Nextcloud version: 24.0.x → 25.0.1
Operating system and version: Linux wp536 4.14.132-xenu-he (but without ssh)
Apache: Version unknown/ hidden by provider
PHP version: 8.0.25
Provider: HostEurope

config.php

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => '----',
  'passwordsalt' => '----',
  'secret' => '----',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => '----',
    1 => '----',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '24.0.7.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => '----',
  'dbname' => '----',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => '----',
  'dbpassword' => '----',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtphost' => '----',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_from_address' => 'info',
  'mail_domain' => '----',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpname' => '----',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '----',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.secret' => '----',
);

updater.log

php-Errors:

[Mon Nov 28 17:30:06 2022] [access_compat:error] [pid 933] [client 2a02:908::] [host ----] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/data/.ocdata
[Mon Nov 28 17:32:18 2022] [access_compat:error] [pid 3967] [client 2a02:908::] [host ----] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/data/.ocdata
[Mon Nov 28 17:32:36 2022] [access_compat:error] [pid 4369] [client 2a02:908::] [host ----] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/data/.ocdata
[Mon Nov 28 17:37:39 2022] [php:error] [pid 12602] [client 2a02:908::] [host ----] script '/is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/error.php' not found or unable to stat
[Mon Nov 28 17:58:59 2022] [php:error] [pid 5618] [client 40.87.53.0] [host ----] script '/is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/wp-22.php' not found or unable to stat

Any ideas? Do i have to handle in more logs? Where do i have to search for them in case?

1 Like

Anyone with an idea? Or do i need the backup?

Hi,

Did you try to access your instance again in the meantime?
When you navigate to your NC server in the browser and see the white page, could you press the key combination CTRL + F5? That should reload the page without using the cache.

If this doesn’t help, then yes, please provide more log information and maybe even the browser console output.

You may also want to contact the hoster and ask for help. I find these PHP errors strange:

[Mon Nov 28 17:32:36 2022] [access_compat:error] [pid 4369] [client 2a02:908::] [host ----] AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/data/.ocdata
[Mon Nov 28 17:58:59 2022] [php:error] [pid 5618] [client 40.87.53.0] [host ----] script '/is/htdocs/----/www/nextcloud/wp-22.php' not found or unable to stat

Maybe your client was or still is blocked for some reason and access to the .ocdata file is blocked?
Also I’m not aware of a wp-22.php file in the nextcloud folder. Could be something by the hoster?

Hi @Schmu,

yes of course i did try to access the instance again. More than once and even with cleared cache. But it’s some nextcloud related server-side issue. I have other web applications running on the hosting server without any interferences.

What logfiles may i handle in? Where do i find them?

Browser console output is this:

It’s an error 500 but without any notice in the server logs and the output is still broken.

I have registered a domain to show of my server:
http://ncissue281112.he-webpack.de/ (Will be removed after issue is solved)

Something really interessting happened. I at first forgot to register the domain as trusted. On requesting the cloud url i got the expectable “Untrusted Domain” view:

So the instance itself works, but something breaks and the error response is truncated.

Could you give me advise there i might get more logs from the nextcloud?

The php-error message might be something unrelated. I get requests to unavaliable files (wp_…) once in a while on different websites too. Might be a crawler looking for unsecure wordpress installations. Just an assumption.

After a week i sadly cant wait any longer and so decided to rollback and use the backup. Technically everthings is working as before. Will try to make the update again when i have the time to do so. But now i need a working cloud storage.

This support request can be closed and/or deleted.