Borg backup fails, not sure how to fix

Hi! iā€™m using a home server that i initially started on windows using docker. iā€™m using two external drives formatted with NTFS, one for data and one for backup. I now switched to ubuntu to improve performance and restored the borg backup (worked flawlessly). i didnā€™t move the backup to another folder before restoring and i think now borg is confused because a folder with backup already exists.
from borg log: 'Cannot initialize a new repository as that was already done at least one time.
If you still want to do so, you may delete the ā€˜borg.configā€™ file that is stored in the mastercontainer volume manually, which will allow you to initialize a new borg repository in the chosen directory.ā€™
i donā€™t know how to access the mastercontainer volume to delete it, and i donā€™t know if it would be a good idea to do so.
I think i could solve by moving the backup to another folder and restore it again, but itā€™s better to ask you first :slight_smile:
thank you

this does not strictly seem a nextcloud-problemā€¦ :wink:
Whatā€™s the exact borg-command you are trying to run?
borg init cannot be run on an exisiting repo.
run borg -v info on your repo.
If you (want to) run borg from a script i suggest you first try to run its commands one-by-one manually without a log but output to console to debug.
sometimes it helps to delete .cache/borg of the user that runs borg (will be rebuilt by the next borg-run).
GOOD LUCK!

So did you move the backup to another folder after restoring?

Tried and didnā€™t work, also tried deleting it (after making a copy) but same error

Im just trying to make the automatic backup work from the aio interface. After restoring the backup it didnā€™t ask where I wanted the automatic backups to be placed like it did on the first install

Indeed, it will not ask again as the original place will be used again.

1 Like

How should I fix this? :see_no_evil:

Possible solution: how to change backup directory path once submitted? Ā· Discussion #596 Ā· nextcloud/all-in-one Ā· GitHub

A different one would be editing the configuration.json directly and changing the path in there. It is stored by default in /var/lib/docker/volumes/nextcloud_aio_mastercontainer/_data/data/configuration.json
However this is usually not recommended as you might break your instance when doing so.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try and report back
Thank you :blush:

Forgot to reply, I was able to fix this
Thanks to your replies I found the Borg config file and deleting it allowed me to choose the backup location again c:

All right! Please mark one post as the solution then!

1 Like