Blank Dashboard page after 19.x to 20 upgrade

Iā€™m using the Nextcloud VM based on Ubuntu 20.04. I upgraded from I believe 19.3. I logged in to the web interface which gave me the path to an upgrade script. For some reason history isnā€™t showing me, but I believe it was /var/scripts/update.sh

I ran through that and it eventually finished. After reboot I get the login screen and am able to successfully log in. Upon login the page it blank. I started searching around to see what I could find for issues and made a few changes that I donā€™t think necessarily helped. At some point during testing I happened to notice that if my mouse was near the top of the blank page, but where the links to the sub apps would be, I could see that the browser would show the path for the links in the bottom left. I clicked one and it loaded up and looked completely as it should be. I can go to settings, other apps, etc. and it all loads up as expected. If I go back to the ā€˜Dashboardā€™ page, back to a completely blank white screen. I can still click where ā€˜Filesā€™ etc. would be to get those pages open and functional. Therefore it seems the only page with an issue is the ā€˜Dashboardā€™ page. Any idea what my be causing just this page to fail?

I had initially looked at the apache logs and one relevant error I found was:

Connection refused: AH0254: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /run/php/php7.4-fpm.nextcloud.sock (*) failed.

I looked and that file existed and was owned by www-data so that seemed to be in order. On a whim I tried to chmod 777 just as a test on the file, then restarted the php7.4-fpm and apache2 services. Though the permissions seem to have reverted, after the reboot those connection refused errors didnā€™t/donā€™t show up anymore. It was after that I found the behavior I mentioned above, so I donā€™t know if what I did actually fixed anything. Iā€™m not sure where to look next, since apparently most everything is actually working.

2 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™ve created this account only to give you a solution for your problem. I had the same problem and found on github the solution.
You have to active the ā€œAccessibilityā€ App. After activation, itā€™s working.

Best regards

12 Likes

Server issue with PR for fix:

2 Likes

That fixed it, thanks!!!

Iā€™ve created this account only to thank you :grin:

2 Likes

Alternatively, deactivate the app ā€œDashboardā€. Seems it depends on Accessibility.

THANK YOU. I spent the night trying to understand that (I thought it was related to 2FA)

That fixed it for us. Thank you!

Maybe I am not smart enough to activate an app. Running these commands showed me the app was already installed and enabled and did not change anything.

$ docker exec --user 33 nextcloud /var/www/html/occ app:install accessibility
accessibility already installed
$ docker exec --user 33 nextcloud /var/www/html/occ app:enable accessibility
accessibility already enabled
$

Activating the app via UI does not work - it is all blankā€¦