Best upgrade path from Nextcloud 20 on Ubuntu 18.04

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.14
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 18.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
I would like to move to Ubuntu 22.04, php8, and Nextcloud 23. What’s the best path to do so? I’ve run into multiple issues with Nextcloud versions less than 23 not working on php8.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Copy existing NC 20.0.14 install to new Ubuntu 22.04 container
  2. Try to access NC site or run upgrader
  3. Error–“This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 8.0.”

Thank you for any assistance!!

I think it is not good to skip Ubuntu releases e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. The long update period is not for skipping releases. Also you can not skip Nextcloud releases. You must upgrade Nextcloud from 20 to 21, 22, to 23.

I think the best way is to use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the standard PHP 7.4. After upgrading from Nextcloud 20 to 21,22 and 23 you should wait for the next Nextcloud release 24 and only then upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to the stable Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

1 Like

I can only second what @devnull said.

Nextcloud 23 does still have support for PHP7.4 and you can’t skip Ubuntu 20.04 anyways, so it is not really an issue.

1. Upgrade Ubuntu to 20.04
  2. Upgrade Nexctloud to 21 → 22 → 23
  3. Upgrade Ubuntu to 22.04 once it is released.
  4. Upgrade Nextcloud to 24 once it is released.
2 Likes

Thank you both for the guidance.

Sorry, correction–I’m currently on PHP7.2 which is preventing me from upgrading to Nextcloud 21 on that container. I thought that Ubuntu 22.04 was released–as it shows up as a container image in LXD. I’m trying to treat these containers as cattle–not pets. I don’t want to upgrade them, I want to throw them away. I’ll try migrating to 20.04 for now.

Thanks again.

I was able to get it all working on the Ubuntu 20 container. Thanks again for the assistance!

1 Like