Best practise how to use multiply address books and/or groups

Hello,
I am using NC 20.0.9 and Contacts 3.5.1 mainly in combination with an iPhone on iOS 14.4.2. However, I also have a number of other devices/apps using the contacts stored on NC such as Thunderbird using CardBook.

Basic syncing works fine across all devices.

However, my goal is to further optimize the management of my contacts by being able to show only the contacts that I need. With the NC Contacts apps, it is easy to create groups for “work”, “neighbours”, etc. Handling of groups in NC is easy as you can just click on them for filtering the view.

However, it seems that iOS is not to be able to use with these NC Contacts groups. A “group” for iOS is a separate address book.

That would mean that I need to create different address books per “group” e.g. one address book for work, one for neighbours, etc. From my point of view, it is not as easy to handle separate address books in NC Contacts apps. There is no way to quickly jump from one “group” to another as you always need to turn an address book on/off.

Is this correct or am I missing something? What is the best practise to organise contacts in “groups”?

(Also, it would be great if NC Contacts would support drag&drop to either assign a group or move across address books.)

Well, after reading many many posts and bug entries, it seems that I am by no means the only one who has issues with the iOS integration. While Apple actually sticks to the vCard standard, these attributes seem to not be supported by NC Contacts (or Sabre). As some questions about this are more than 3-4 years old, I will not hold my breath for a quick implementation either.

Therefore, I will answer my own question: using different address books (and then using CardBook and not the NC Contacts web app) seems to be the best way to easily manage different groups.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.