Best cheap hardware to run Nextcloud on?

Thanks for the information abour passman ! but I couldnā€™t find many ressources about itā€¦ No security audits or big comunity :confused:
As I am coming from Keepass which is known for the security it provides, I am a bit unsure about the whole thingā€¦

As soon as I can order a HC1 in my country again, I will do so, thank you all ! :slight_smile:

@nachoparker Nacho I am waiting for the 4.14 kernel release so much Arm / Rk3328 specifics went into it and Rockchip have moved to that release.

On release I will give things a go

1 Like

great, let me know if you hear from debian stretch / 4.14 images so I can also try it myself

No security audits

Yeah, that is costly and difficult to get hold of. But its author (@brantje) is also here in this forum:

For the rock64, I have compiled a stretch image with 4.14 testing kernel by using the armbian code and tutorials.
The documentation is straightforward and the very first attempt was successfull.
The only thing not working out of the box was the temperature readout via sysfs. LAN and USB 2/3 performance is good.

2 Likes

awesome, do you have some links to share?

If you are on Stretch this should give you NCP with NC, all the extras, ncp-web interface, wizard and so on

# curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bash

You can proceed along the documentation provided here:
https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

I will try to install NCP within the next few days and report back

1 Like

Great, thank you

An update,

With help from @inos we can verify that the curl method works for installing NCP on rock64 and Raspbian (both on Stretch).

Probably it will work for any other board, as long as it is on Stretch, if anybody wants to try let us know!

Next I will try to pre-generate the SD card for the HC1 and the rockboard as an alternative to the docker method.

Feedback is welcome.

1 Like

Is the heart-thingy a good enough feedback ? :wink:

yes it isā€¦ while we wait for you to try it :wink:

I will be getting my HC1 in the next 2 weeks probably and will be happy to help trying out that HC1 images :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks, that would be great. I am planning to move my main personal cloud to the odroid as well soon

Hi gents,

I have a first test build for the odroid HC1. Now that we have the build system ready, we can generate images for all these boards

Next, Iā€™ll build the rock64 version

See this post if you are interested on the test build, feedback is welcome

1 Like

ā€¦ and in addition i proudly present an OdroidC2 image:

Hey Nacho!

Iā€™ve been following your project for a few weeks now, and Iā€™ve gone through this entire thread. If itā€™s alright with you, Iā€™d like to bombard you with questions on this, as I am a total beginner with wanting to get a small SOC Nextcloud home server running.

1. Is it safe to say that if there isnā€™t an official image on Armbian that I should stay away from a specific board? Iā€™m really looking at the Rock64 right now, but based on these discussions it seems like youā€™re still working on getting Armbian running on it.

2. Is Armbian necessary to get Nextcloud running? Could I theoretically just install Debian, or Dietpi, or something else and install Nextcloud on that, and just do all this manually?

3. What are the specific hurdles that weā€™re up against with untested boards right now? Is it just kernal incompatibilities, drivers?

Thanks so much for all the work youā€™ve put into this. Iā€™m currently torn between the HC1, Rock64 and ASUS Tinkerboard for a NextCloud home setup.

Is it safe to say that if there isnā€™t an official image on Armbian that I should stay away from a specific board? Iā€™m really looking at the Rock64 right now, but based on these discussions it seems like youā€™re still working on getting Armbian running on it.

I recommend that you ask this in the Armbian forums. They are very nice and informative. In my short experience, the armbian image for the rock64 wasnā€™t ready yet. @inos pointed me to the ayufan image and that one seems to work. He has NCP running on it. You would have to build it yourself, or maybe someone is sharing it.

Hopefully it will be available from armbian soon and Iā€™ll create an SD card for it.

Is Armbian necessary to get Nextcloud running? Could I theoretically just install Debian, or Dietpi, or something else and install Nextcloud on that, and just do all this manually?

You can install on any system that uses docker with the docker image, or you can install in any system of any architecture as long as it runs Debian 9 with the ā€œcurl installerā€ link

What are the specific hurdles that weā€™re up against with untested boards right now? Is it just kernal incompatibilities, drivers?

Again, armbian forums are the authoritative source, but yes, getting peripherals and kernels to work stable it seems. I am using the odroid HC1 test image that I was sharing and it works fine.

For my use case, this image build by ayufan is stable until now. If you want to use armbian, you have to build the image using the vagrant- or docker based framework offered by the project. You can find all information necessary to build in the documentation provided on the homepage. There is no armbian stretch image available for a direct download.
The NCP installation is dead simple (thanks to @nachoparker !!!) and NC is running smooth an fast enough for personal (family/ friends ) use on Rock64 hardware.

Hi Nachoparker,

The HC1 arrived yesterday and I will try to find some time to play with it during the week.
What would you want me to do / what feedback do you need ?

hi,

well a first user experience report would be nice. Also, detect what features might misbehave ( so an overall test of features ). For intance nc-static-IP has already been reported not to work fine in Armbian.

finally opinions, suggestions, or even a hand at improving configuration for the board / adapting things that donā€™t work 100% would also be great.

For instance I have some parameters in my head that I would already change for the odroid, but havenā€™t had the time yet.

in order not to hijack this thread, we can talk in this other post

Thanks!

2 Likes