Best cheap hardware to run Nextcloud on?

@just : I have joined the telegram channel. if i could help.

@Krischan thanks for sharing info on this new board. If i have understand well i see that it is better but not game changer compared to pi 4 (but it is a huge change compared to the pi 3b+).

I think buying a raspberry 4 because it is a one of the good board to use and then i may use it easier if I stop this nextcloud project for any reason. I am may be wrong but i think that raspberry could have easier other use (as beginer) or that it could be selled easier to other people that may have use of it.

Actually, in this case the Odroid wins. Donā€™t get me wrong, the Pi 4 is an excellent device, butā€¦ NextcloudPi and tools like Docker are actually directly integrated into the setup menu of all Odroid devices thanks to Armbian! Super awesome and could not be easier to get started.

The C4 is sweet for multiple reasons:

Much better power consumption at only 2A!

Barrel jack or USB power.

4 ports at USB 3.0 vs the 2 ports

Same price as Pi4.

No wifi or bluetooth on-board.
emmc slot + micro-sd

This is a beast! Also, the older Odroid HC1 (2.5") or HC2 (3.5") will directly connect SATA drives so youā€™ll be moving your data on big drives at full gigabit ethernet speeds!

Hi guys,
I am currently running my NC on a QNAP NAS with docker. But since this system is very power consuming I was thinking about changing to a less power needing setup.
I am using my NC with 5 users mainly for upload and sharing of pictures through the clients (Windows and Android). I am planing to install further apps like Collabora or OnlyOffice, but there will not be a lot of simultaneous work of different users in these apps.

As a new setup I was thinking about to buy an Odroid-C4, since it does not use a lot of energy and still seems to have enough computing power. In addition I would buy me a WD Red SA500 SSD 2.5" harddrive. Is it possible to power this harddrive only through the standard Odroid power source (12V, 2 A Power supply; with USB-SATA-Adapter)? This harddrive is also available as M.2, does this make more sense, since it is smaller? What is the problem there? The Odroid-C4 only has USB-connectors, I will therefore need an adapter cable. Is there something special I need to consider if I buy one?
Do you think this is a reasonable setup? Or do you think I need to reconsider something? Or would you recommend me some other products which would even speed up my setup? In my new setup I will use my QNAP NAS for the backup and therefore only start it at certain times.

Thanks for your comments / thoughts.

Yes that sounds feasible more or less. Buy the USB to SATA adapter directly from Hardkernel (Odroid makers) to be sure it works with the Odroid-C4.

The only problem is that OnlyOffice only works on x86 CPUs (for now) and Collabora might be a bit slow on a Odroid-C4 (not sure, you would need to test that).

Edit: You could also get the new Odroid H2+, more expensive but x86, 2.5gbit ethernet and a M.2 NVMe storage connector for a SSD:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2plus/

Thank you for your answer. I again had a look into it.
Indeed, the Odroid H2+ looks interesting, but is more expensive. Do I understand correctly, that I also need to buy the RAM seperatly for the H2+? The second drawback is, that it needs more power, but as far as I understand it will be easily possible to speed it up (add further RAM) at a later point.
Do I have other limitations with the Ordoid-C4, because it does not have x86 CPU?
Another option will be a Raspberry Pi 4ā€¦ Hard decision to take :wink:

Edit: Just saw that the Raspberry Pi also is based on an ARM cpu. Therefore, I donā€™t see an advantage in the Raspberry Pi and only need to decide between Ordoid-C4 and Odroid H2+.

Yes RAM is a separate purchase for the H2+ (regular Laptop DDR4 ram I think), which brings the price close to some other NUC like PCs to be honest.

ARM CPUs are mostly well supported for server software (less so for Desktop software and games), but you might have to compile some software yourself. However since the RasberryPI is so popular, Armbian and other ARM focused GNU/Linux distributions have a wide range of software precompiled for ARM.

For a home server kind of setup, IMHO there is really no reason to chose the RasberryPI4 over the Odroid-C4. But if for some reason you end up using it for other purposes (like a media center) then the RPI4 has a bit of an advantage as software support in general is a bit better.

Perhaps you can use an old laptop (less engergy) or a virtual machine on your pc if you need the cloud only if the pc is running that is the cheaped way. :wink: My test nextcloud runs fine on my linux laptop with dyndns and port forwarding. For non confidential data you also can use a free nextcloud in the internet and use ā€œfederated sharingā€ for compine them with your private nextcloud.

Odroid C4 is a great choice. If you want higher performance within the limitations of arm64, go for the rockpro with pci-e Sata adapter for 4 drives + e-sata connection.

$129 for sata adapter/power supply/aluminum case + rock pro for about $75.

1 Like

What do you guys think about the N2+ ? It is often proposed to use it as a media board, but it seems to me (not an expert on this) its CPU is (at least) as powerful as the RockPro64. Therefore, wouldnā€™t it be a good candidate for Nextcloud? Even though it has no SATA-connectors, but hey, thereā€™s USB-3 and this kind of stuff.

Also, looking forward to an updated list of boards at ownyourbits.com :slight_smile:

Hi. Has anyone tried this: https://www.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105800-p-4445.html ā€¦? It gets a good review on ExplainingComputers :slight_smile:

I really like Nextcloudā€¦but Iā€™m trying to run it on a first generation RPi B+, and the spec isnā€™t up to the job :frowning: The client-side user experience is very laggy, and htop shows processor usage pinned at 100% as soon as you actually do anything(!)

I was looking at the 8GB version of the current (4th gen) RPi, which Iā€™m sure would be much more capable, particularly now that USB/ethernet contention is no longer an issue. But then I saw the Odyssey board. Itā€™s x86 rather than ARM - which is a different beast, I know - and itā€™s perhaps pushing the definition of ā€œcheapā€(?) But the processor compares favourably with that of the Pi, and connectivity is very good: true SATA (no USB adapters required), M.2 SSD and NVMe etc. Plus it has two (Intel) Gig ethernet ports, which I could bond/team together for greater throughput and failover.

What do people think?

P.S. For reference, this is for a home install thatā€™ll serve ~5 clients, though rarely more than two simultaneously. I have a fast connection to my ISP, and a reasonable network configuration (decent router running dd-wrt etc). In terms of local storage, speed and reliability are more important than capacity: I have a separate NAS box that serves files to the LAN via NFS. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Hi, I guess for this price is the Intel NUC Kit NUC7PJYH a better choice.
Greetings!

Hi szaimen, thanks for replying :slight_smile: Yes, itā€™s a good comparison (I saw this, for instance). A barebone NUC would come with a case, of course, but no RAM. The connectivity isnā€™t as good, though, I think: no NVMe, one ethernet port etc.

EDIT: Thereā€™s also the Odroid H2+, which, again, has multiple ethernet ports (2.5G, actually). Though comparing it to the Odyssey is a bit unfair, maybe: itā€™s not really an SBC as such, 'cos it doesnā€™t come with memory.

Hi all ,

I want to share my experience with the Odroid H2+ (https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2plus/).

I recently moved from Raspberry Pi 3B+ (which I used for about 3 years) to this one and I am really satisfied.

I have 8 Gb RAM and 128 SSM Module so its about 200 ā‚¬.
I also installed a Sata SSD so I can make a backup for Harddisk Errors.

I moved cause of the x86 Architecture so I can use the integrated Only Office which works great (although I am not so conviced with the license model - it does not matter for me, as a single user)

I use phonetrack a lot (with about 20,000 points) and now it does not timeout or break anymore. With the raspberry I had to limited it to about 1,000 points in one refresh cycle of 15 seconds.
Now (with the same internet connection) 20,000 points and refresh cycle 90 seconds it loads perfectly fine.

Apart from phonetrack which gave me the ā€œwohā€ effect - all other apps are loading much faster now.

I do not have experience with others but I can say after reading specs and searching for about 2 years, the timing (OnlyOffice, Talk) and the specs (intel x86, 2 SATA ports (for RAID if necessary), highly customizeable) where perfect.

So I definetly recommend this one.

Cheers,
Florom

2 Likes

Hi Florom. Thank you, thatā€™s really helpful! :slight_smile:

Do you mind if I pick your brains with a few questions?

1. Load: How many clients does that serve - just one? (You said ā€œsingle userā€)
  2. Software: Have you had any problems with updates? (According to HardKernel you need to install a driver for the Realtek RTL8125B)
  3. Network: Have you tried bonding the two ethernet ports for an aggregate 5Gb connection?
  4. Hardware: Do you use a cooling fan? And have you found a decent case for it? (I donā€™t particularly like the HardKernel ones, and the only other one Iā€™ve found is this)

Thanks in advance

I had a similar experience when running Nextcloud on a throwaway i7 tower computer. It suddenly synced tons of photos off of an ipad within 15 seconds that would normally take minutes on a Pi 3. The performance difference was insane.

No major problems with the Pi 3 overheating (that would be the 4) but ethernet was tied to the USB bus + only 1gb of ram, so not a good option. Glad you found the article helpful :wink:

Please do. You can join https://t.me/nextcloudpi to locate the wiki and documentation team. Main reason I have not updated the articleā€¦ is I have not bought these new devices for testing. :slight_smile:

Hi t-cubed,

Actually two (contacts, calendar) but my user is the only one which really matters (File Sync through various devices, massive use (before lockdown) of phonetrack, now massive use of Only Office)

I did not have problems but it did not work out of the box for me. I use debian (not ubuntu) and I had to manually install this driver which is kind of uncomfortable without internet connection (you have to use usb sticks). After that I did not have any issues.

No, I did not. I use the ethernet ports separatly with two different IP Adresses for various reasons. For me aggregation would not be neccessary.

No, its warm but not hot at about 50 degrees. I heard (but I could not find the source now) that SSM and SSDs are healthier in warm environment. I have to add that I explicitly chose this one cause there is no fan necessary (power consumption is low too)

I am satisfied with the case hardkernel provides. What do you criticize about it especially? Maybe I overlooked anything.

Cheers,
Florom

Hi Florom.

Re: Installing drivers via USB sticks -

Iā€™m familiar with this kind of thing. Itā€™s an annoyance, definitelyā€¦but a minor one, I think :slight_smile:

Re: Fan -

50 degrees? Is that idling or under load?

Re: case -

The HardKernel cases look OK, I guessā€¦but the KKSB one looks a lot sturdier.

Thanks again - I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions :slight_smile:

Hi t-cubed,

50 degrees is a hand-measured value. Itā€™s on max 5 % CPU load. I almost never encountered it more than that even when loading 20,000 points in phonetrack and I think if I do not use face recognition it wonā€™t increase.

Yeah, KKSB looks sturdier.

You are welcome.

So, the new $65 Odroid HC4 is coming out in a few days, including clear case. 4w idle and 15.6w with two drives. Power supply in addition.

• Dual bay with SATA III over Pci-E. Big upgrade from old usb bridge.
  • 64-bit Arm with 4gb ram.

Looks to be a solid gigabit device. Includes usb 2.0 port. Details here. Discount codes also on that site for a couple bucks off.

On latest Selfhosted Show podcast, it is mentioned for those willing to skip warranty in favor of cheap disks:

• $170 Seagate 10tb external contains Barracuda Pro disk
  • $199 12tb WD Easystore contains quality helium disk (red disk with white label added).
  • 10tb WD easystore contains crappy smr drive.

Keep an eye out for these to be on massive sales for Black Friday - Cyber Monday.

Hi All,

A few things I add:

I add that with new debian the driver for LAN is now in the kernel. No USB and manual installation requiered anymore.

Unfortunatly the board is discountinued cause of the chip shortage.

Based on my experience with hardkernel (Hardware and support) and the Board itself (2 Years 24/7 working) I would definitly recommend a successor if there is one in the next couple of years.