Best cheap hardware to run Nextcloud on?

neverrrrrr!

2 Likes

I, too, got mine today. I am traveling so I wonā€™t be back to play with it until next week.

Thanks!

Well Iā€™ve found a review of the new ZOTAC PI225 x86 compatible PC, pretty small stuff though it has only Wifi and no Ethernet and costs around 200,- EUR

Yeah that one looks pretty neat but definitely another price range than the Pine64 etc. Gigabit ethernet to USB-C type adapters are easy to get tough, so that should not be a big issue.

anyone buy this board?

For my smallest setup I moved from a PI to the first UpBoard (bit overpriced as I chose the 4/64GB version and added a fan + casing to it.)
I needed 64bit and amd64 /x86-64 to run collabora and webrtc (spreed.me) properly.But it is as big as a PI.
So easy to loose in a closet.
Data is stored on a NAS. But that is what I had before when using a PI3 alreadyā€¦
The x5-z8350 really and 4GB memory really spices things up.

hi @Stuart_Naylor , @Jeffery_Frederick, all

I started to port NCP to other boards, so I wanted to share my progress

The first step was to develop an install script that works on any debian based system, I have tested in Raspbian and Debian x86. NCP is based on Debian Stretch.

Then, I went to the armbian download page and to my surprise, there is no image available for the Rock64, and the one for the odroid HC1 is still on Debian Jessie.

Nextcloud would work without HTTP2, but not all the features that NCP has will work (for instance, modsecurity changes quite a bit). This is not ideal, because it would be more work to maintain a script that also works for jessie and has HTTP2, PHP7 and all the new stuff. I have the code, because NCP started in stretch, but I donā€™t think itā€™s worth it to maintain support for jessie.

I might head to their forums soon to see what is the ETA for Stretch based images.

I guess that for the time being, the docker approach remains the best option to easily port to other boards.

Some of the NCP features still need some adjustment to play well on the docker container, NC works fine. I will try this approach first and report back.

Hi all, I donā€™t want to hijack this thread at all but I didnā€™t want to open up a new discussion for a question which IMHO fits into here rather nicely.

I have a little sideproject to go away from Google Cloud and Keepass at the same time. Mounting myself a little Nextcloud + bitwarden machine.

Question is : would a Odroid HC-1 be the right fit for both these things ? What would be the better way to accomplish this : Docker ?

If you have a better board or Idea in mind (knowing that I am the most total noob there is, but I understand commands, so there is thatā€¦)

Thanks ! (Just tell me if I should GTFO and open up a new thread)

Hello ChriKn, for this reason Hardkernel has developed Odroid HC1. Iā€™ve one working as nextcloud server running 24/7.

Andreas

Hi Tuxfriend, is there also a way to use bitwarden (Open-source Password manager with docker image) side-by-side ?
And what distro is recommanded for the HC1 ?
I couldnā€™t really get the pros and cons of the HC1 vs the Rock64ā€¦
Help is really apreciated !

Hello ChriKn,
I use Ubuntu from Hardkernel at the moment, but switch to Fedora when itā€™s ready (maybe in December) . Iā€™ve no experience with docker, I donā€™t use it.

Any distro that support Odroid-XU4 (nearly the same board as HC1) can run on HC1

rock64 is cheaper, and USB3 HDD
odroid HC1 is more expensive and powerful, and prepared nicely for SATA SDD

IMHO docker is the way to go with armbian-odroidHC1 because they are still on jessie. OFC you can have NC on jessie for a while, but it is harder to setup with packages from stretch like HTTP2 and PHP7. Thatā€™s the way NCP started in march and there were some incompatibilities, for instance php-smbclient would crash because it was using some packages from stretch and some from jessie.

I have NCP docker for ARM based on stretch (NC12.0.3), but still have to test it more on HC1 before releasing it ( brave alpha testers are always welcome ).

Hope it helps

Thanks Nachoparker,
Great to have an answer from such a dedicated user / developer :slight_smile:

So from what I get (total noob, as said) It would be best to install armbian, get docker working and just install the NCP docker once it comes out (what is the difference to normal NC docker if I can ask ? I thought NCP was an entire OSā€¦ If I figured it out right, docker is more of a ā€œpluginā€-style application framework for servers or am I wrong ?) as well as bitwarden. (Hoping both are not too much for the chipā€¦)
Would the balancing be done through docker or do I have to give one or the other instance more or less power ?

Thank you for your help !

Yes, thatā€™s what I would suggest

These are the original instructions for the old container. It has only Nextcloud

https://ownyourbits.com/2017/06/08/nextcloudpi-docker-for-raspberry-pi/

The new one has NextCloud + letsencrypt, DDNS, modsecurity, backups, autoupdates and the rest, plus NCP web UI.

It deviates a bit from the standard way of building docker containers but I think it has many benefits, specially for less powerful boards.

You can control max resource consumption and that kind of thing with docker-compose rules

1 Like

Wow, kinda disappointingā€¦ But thatā€™s life. I still have not had a chance to open up the Rock board. Maybe Iā€™ll try the docker method.

edit: sorry this was for another post

There is also a password manager called Passman (www.passman.cc) for Nextcloud, so you wouldnā€™t necessarily need another dedicated password manager software at all.

@nachoparker Armbian can be updated to Stretch after installation, so you could get Armbian with the latest Debian release. Hopefully they switch to Stretch soonā€¦

thanks, is worth a try :wink:

Iā€™m browsing the forums, so Iā€™ll probably post there when I have time. I see that thereā€™s people working on rock64 stretch for example

Iā€™ll probably test first with docker because I donā€™t have infinite time xD

If somebody is impatient, maybe we can grab one of those odroid or rock64 experimental stretch images and install NCP on them

# curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bash

(inspect code first, donā€™t trust me blindly and all that)

That would be helpful testing to make faster progress

@Stuart_Naylor?

Thanks for the information abour passman ! but I couldnā€™t find many ressources about itā€¦ No security audits or big comunity :confused:
As I am coming from Keepass which is known for the security it provides, I am a bit unsure about the whole thingā€¦

As soon as I can order a HC1 in my country again, I will do so, thank you all ! :slight_smile:

@nachoparker Nacho I am waiting for the 4.14 kernel release so much Arm / Rk3328 specifics went into it and Rockchip have moved to that release.

On release I will give things a go

1 Like