Background image, favicon, icon etc gone after updating to Nextcloud 25

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 11
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.54
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0

The issue you are facing:
After upgrading from Nextcloud 24.0.8 the

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): no, I already tested a los

Steps to replicate it:

1. Install Nextcloud 24.0.8, configure custom background picture
  2. Update to Nextcloud 25
  3. Logout and try to Login again, you won’t see your background picture anymore, just a blank color

Strange thing:
Directly after the update, when still being logged in, the background image is there. But once being logged out or using another browser…it’s gone. I assume it’s a caching problem here but I still wanted to mention it.

Problem:
We’re hosting a few nextclouds for our customers and update them regulary. Some of the customer use custom designs like favicon, background image etc.
After updating our own nextcloud I realized, that the background image was gone.

Testing it with a testing instance I found out, that the images were previously stored at

data/appdata_xxxxx/theming/images/

When upgrading nextcloud the folder images gets deleted.

With nextcloud 25 the path changes to

data/appdata_oc3ofb7zlt0w/theming/global

There i no “images” folder. If I set a new background picture the folder appears and contains the picture.

I tried to save and copy the files form Nextcloud 24 there but it didn’t help.

Why can the custom config not be transfered to Nextcloud 25? This has a huge impact since the customers would have to reconfigure everything.

Can someone tell me what we can do to avoid the reconfiguration?

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

I can confirm that custom wallpaper and login page were gone after the update from 25.01 - > 25.02 but custom css withing theme app still works have not checked fav icon

2 Likes

Same issue here!
Any remedy as of now?

Just updated to 25.0.3 (stable channel) and lost my favicon and background image too.

I can’t find the background image from the backup either (nextcloud/data/updater-xxxxxxxxx/backups/nextcloud-25.0.2.3-1674003779/…)

Anyone knows where I could find it? I do have a cold backup (ZFS disk snapshot) from a previous instance, but that’ll take a while to find for sure…

Any input from Nextcloud’s team?

Same issue! And it wont update anymore when i upload a new one!

When I analysed the problem I couldn’t find any other solution then reupload. It’s pain! Didn’t update the clouds since 2 months now.

I just found this: [Bug]: Update to Nextcloud 25.0.3 doesn't migrate theming images · Issue #36206 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

25.0.4 gonna be released in a week. So it might be finally fixed with this update.

It’s fixed with 25.0.4

The problem is back when updating from 25.0.3 to 25.0.5.

1 Like

Can not confirm this on 25.0.5

Login wallpaper and others (users) are the same… Still not checked favicon… Need to create one to test