Automatically convert uploaded JPG to PDF (with OCR)?

Hello,

is there a possibility to automatically convert uploaded JPG files to PDF?

What I like to achieve (some kind of digital mail room for my documents):

• take a photo of my documents by using my mobile phone (iphone)

• upload the JPEG document to a specific “Inbox” folder in NC

• the uploaded JPEG document should be automatically converted to PDF (ideally with OCR)

• If possible it should also work to convert a uploaded non-searchable PDF (with multiple pages) to a searchable (OCR) PDF.

Any idea? Is this possible?

Thanks a lot.
Tombar

yes, using this app: Optical character recognition (OCR)

Nextcloud OCR (optical character recoginition) processing for images and PDF with tesseract-ocr and OCRmyPDF brings OCR capability to your Nextcloud 10.

Please note that there are some caveats. For example you have to install extra software on your server

1 Like

thanks a lot. I will check.

Tombar

You could mark my answer as a solution, if you like.
It is also a way to communicate to the other readers if the app solved your problem

The OCR app does the pdf generation, but afaik it’s not happening automatically and there is not yet any mechanism that listens to an event like a new document event in a certain folder. The user still needs to manually trigger the OCR process manually via UI.

It would need to be implemented in a custom app that has a hook / event listener on new files in a certain folder (i.e. could be that the folder has a certain tag) and then start the OCR process.

See https://github.com/janis91/ocr/issues/80#issuecomment-346621668