Auto update Nextcloud server

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to update my Nextcloud server automatically (minor, major releases or preferably both). I know I can do this through the updater app, which I used several times. However, I would like Nextcloud to do this for me. Or if I’m able to script and schedule this myself, that’s OK too. But how? if this is not possible yet, I would like to add this as a feature request.

Just to be clear: I want to update Nextcloud to the latest available version, without any human intervention.

My system:
Nextcloud version: 15.05
Operating system and version: CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810
Apache or nginx version: Apache httpd-2.4.6-89.el7.centos
PHP version: php-7.1.29-1.el7.remi

Thanks in advance,
Joeri

i guess that’s already on the roadmap… so we’ll see when it’ll come

If ever, i hope to have:

• an option to avoid automatic update. I don’t feel comfortable with automatic update. What may be broken by an invisible update … When i broke my NC during update, i choose to, and only blame myself… Automatic means i may blame others :slight_smile:
  • A real, updated, clear change-log PRIOR to the automatic update
    – with possibility to refuse update.

But it is sure seamless update are (sometimes, check microsoft fails) a good thing (when perfectly tested)

1 Like

Of course there is always a risk when you use automatic updates. But if you are the kind of user (like me) that cares more about having the latest security updates because my Nextcloud is reachable from the internet (through a reverse proxy that is), I gladly take that risk. Besides that, I create backups of my Nextcloud server every night. It’s not a big thing for me if, in the future, there will be an update that breaks things and I will have to restore from backup.

Like all features that come with any product, it depends on your own situation if it’s useful for you or not. And sometimes we (read: humans) will make the wrong choice, then you learnt something. That’s life! :wink:

auto update? easy to enable.

use at your own risk! (for me it’s difficult to test. i always have to wait for the next image.)

A post was split to a new topic: Questions regarding NC updates