Apache2 does not start

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install Nextcloud 10.0.2 on my Raspberry Pi 3. I am an absolute beginner and following the official tutorial from the documentation:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/10/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#apache-web-server-configuration

Everything is working fine up until the point where I am asked to restart apache2 using “sudo service apache2 restart”.
The output is: "Job for apache2.service failed. See ‘systemctl status apache2.service’ and ‘journalctl-xn’ for details."
I double checked the previously-made apache2 configuration file and copy-and-pasted the one from the tutorial. I did not need to change the directory as I want Nextcloud to be in /var/www/nextcloud/.

So “systemctl status apache2.service” gives me:

apache2.service - LSB: Apache 2 web server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/apache2)
Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service.d
-> forking.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2016-12-11 12:41:27 CET; 12s ago
Process: 12180 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/apache2 stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 12631 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/apache2 start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have any idea, what it might be?

Does apache restart work before you do any changes to it, in your case before adding and enabling the nextcloud.conf and the additional modules?

Also instead of creating a symlink to the nextcloud.conf I use “a2ensite nextcloud.conf”, but this should do the same job.

Maybe you can enable the config and modules step by step and try to restart apache in between for debugging. Also the /var/log/apache2/error.log might provide additional information, or other system logs at the time of the restart attempt.

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I tried the process all over again today and got the Nextcloud running now. I guess there was a typo somewhere or I missed something. Anyways the apache2 Server is running now, thanks!