Annoying errors: error assembling chunks & unknow error

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): Same on Nextcloud 17.0.1, 17.0.3 and 18.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Debian 9.0 and Debian 9.9
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3

PHP 7.3.14-5+0~20200202.52+debian9~1.gbpa71879 (cli) (built: Feb  2 2020 07:56:57) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.14, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.3.14-5+0~20200202.52+debian9~1.gbpa71879, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

• “Unknown error occurred” (when uploading a folder with a lot of small files), the files upload very fast and well but error keep appearing over and over on the screen.
  • “Error when assembling chunks 504” (mainly appears when I upload a big file, tested with single files of 16, 54 and 125gb size). The error appears just when the upload ends and the “processing files” message appears. If I wait a bit and reload the webpage the files are well uploaded, but I get the annoying error and need to reload the page…

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Empty on Nextcloud v.18.0.0 and v.17.0.3
On v.17.0.1 I have this:

{"reqId":"OUH9eSwYaeNoCuHi4ogz","level":3,"time":"2019-12-09T18:25:01+01:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"cron","method":"","url":"--","message":{"Exception":"Exception","Message":"Not installed","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":646,"function":"checkInstalled","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":1081,"function":"init","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/cron.php","line":41,"args":["\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","Line":277,"CustomMessage":"--"},"userAgent":"--","version":"17.0.1.1"}
{"reqId":"JXAKXFE6RnhTpYYc4oXu","level":3,"time":"2019-12-09T18:25:29+01:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"cron","method":"","url":"--","message":{"Exception":"Exception","Message":"Not installed","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":646,"function":"checkInstalled","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":1081,"function":"init","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/cron.php","line":41,"args":["\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","Line":277,"CustomMessage":"--"},"userAgent":"--","version":"17.0.1.1"}
{"reqId":"SHg3N8Dpba0a2mWwRgRW","level":3,"time":"2019-12-09T18:30:01+01:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"cron","method":"","url":"--","message":{"Exception":"Exception","Message":"Not installed","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":646,"function":"checkInstalled","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":1081,"function":"init","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/cron.php","line":41,"args":["\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","Line":277,"CustomMessage":"--"},"userAgent":"--","version":"17.0.1.1"}
{"reqId":"BCHmeGYS0yTA3swZpVtk","level":3,"time":"2019-12-09T18:35:01+01:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"cron","method":"","url":"--","message":{"Exception":"Exception","Message":"Not installed","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":646,"function":"checkInstalled","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","line":1081,"function":"init","class":"OC","type":"::","args":[]},{"file":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/cron.php","line":41,"args":["\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"\/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/base.php","Line":277,"CustomMessage":"--"},"userAgent":"--","version":"17.0.1.1"}
{"reqId":"PUqnLgqRRtLsNH0b6rDs","level":4,"time":"2019-12-09T20:31:50+01:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.202","user":"Admin_Lp52","app":"ocs_api","method":"POST","url":"\/ocs\/v2.php\/cloud\/users","message":"Failed addUser attempt: User already exists.","userAgent":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit\/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome\/78.0.3904.108 Safari\/537.36","version":"17.0.1.1"}

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
'passwordsalt' => '*************',
'secret' => '*************',
'trusted_domains' =>
array (
0 => '******ServerName*******',
1 => '******DomainForAccessFromWan*******',
2 => '*******ServerIP******'
),
'datadirectory' => '/nxc-data',
'dbtype' => 'pgsql',    *****the other nextcloud servers use mysql*****
'version' => '18.0.0.10',
'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://localhost',
'dbname' => '*************',
'dbhost' => 'localhost',
'dbport' => '',
'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
'dbuser' => '*************',
'dbpassword' => '*************',
'installed' => true,
'instanceid' => 'oc21xgc0ankb',
'activity_expire_days' => 30,
'auth.bruteforce.protection.enabled' => true,
'blacklisted_files' =>
array (
0 => '.htaccess',
1 => 'Thumbs.db',
2 => 'thumbs.db',
),
'cron_log' => true,
'enable_previews' => true,
'enabledPreviewProviders' =>
array (
0 => 'OC\Preview\PNG',
1 => 'OC\Preview\JPEG',
2 => 'OC\Preview\GIF',
3 => 'OC\Preview\BMP',
4 => 'OC\Preview\XBitmap',
5 => 'OC\Preview\Movie',
6 => 'OC\Preview\PDF',
7 => 'OC\Preview\MP3',
8 => 'OC\Preview\TXT',
9 => 'OC\Preview\MarkDown',
),
'filesystem_check_changes' => 0,
'filelocking.enabled' => 'true',
'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
'integrity.check.disabled' => false,
'knowledgebaseenabled' => false,
'logtimezone' => 'Europe/Madrid',
'log_rotate_size' => 104857600,
'logfile' => '/nxc-data/nextcloud.log',
'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\APCu',
'memcache.locking' => '\OC\Memcache\Redis',
'preview_max_x' => 1024,
'preview_max_y' => 768,
'preview_max_scale_factor' => 1,
'redis' =>
array (
'host' => '/var/run/redis/redis.sock',
'port' => 0,
'timeout' => 0.0,
),
'quota_include_external_storage' => false,
'share_folder' => '/Shares',
'skeletondirectory' => '',
'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto',
'simpleSignUpLink.shown' => false,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

2020/02/13 00:17:46 [error] 10185#10185: *14172 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.199, server: **********, request: “GET /apps/logreader/poll?lastReqId=RkTQo0BgfO3HEfYj9Wbw HTTP/1.1”, upstream: “fastcgi://unix:/run/php/php7.3-fpm.sock:”, host: ".*****.com"

And also the php-fpm log:

cat /var/log/php7.3-fpm.log
[09-Feb-2020 06:25:03] NOTICE: error log file re-opened
[12-Feb-2020 23:44:13] WARNING: [pool www] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 8 children, there are 0 idle, and 6 total children
[12-Feb-2020 23:44:14] WARNING: [pool www] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 16 children, there are 0 idle, and 7 total children
[12-Feb-2020 23:44:15] WARNING: [pool www] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 32 children, there are 0 idle, and 8 total children
[12-Feb-2020 23:44:16] WARNING: [pool www] seems busy (you may need to increase pm.start_servers, or pm.min/max_spare_servers), spawning 32 children, there are 0 idle, and 9 total children

I have spent a lot of time trying to solve this,…servers are functional, because I can upload and download files and folders of any size, but the errors keep appearing over and over and I need to wait for upload /download completion and reload the page (or close 5 million times the error that is showed one under the other a lot of times.

I will infinitely appreciate any help

Modify the source code and remove/comment out the problem notifications.

That’s not a real solution because only hide the problem, but can do the job while I find a better solution…
Where are located the problem notifications?

That is the solution. I’ve never had the chunks fail to assemble but I suppose it’s possible.

You can also just disable chunking if I recall correctly.