Android Apps cant find my Server anymore

Since today the nc android app displays ā€œserver not availableā€ when using mobile data.

Same problem on two different android phones.

I can still reach the server with browsers (using mobile data).

The notes appā€™s log says ā€œUnable to resolve hostā€.

Any ideas?

Things Iā€™ve tried:

• reboot Phone, Router, nc-server
  • checked nginx service
  • checked port forwarding
  • removed and re-registered my account inside the nextcloud app and the notes app
  • checked fail2ban jails

Browsers that are off-network?

This is indicating a DNS resolution issue. Can the phones correctly resolve the hostname while on mobile data?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

Using mobile data, my android phone can reach my nextcloud instance using a web browser but the apps say ā€˜server unavailableā€™.

The browsers actual show the online version (no cached offline version or pwa).

Is the app set to use the same server URL you put in the browser?

1 Like

Yes and this worked for months (or years?)
I donā€™t know what changedā€¦

Things Iā€™ve tried:

• reboot Phone, Router, nc-server
  • checked nginx service
  • checked port forwarding

Try going to https://scan.nextcloud.com and/or https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest and running their tests on your server. If the test works, this validates your hostname, port forwarding, and certificate.

1 Like

@tompson
Maybe you can add another account from your server. Do you get the same message while access a new account?

1 Like

scan.nextcloud.com ā†’ A Rating (displays wrong/outdated server version)
ssllabs.com ā†’ A+ Rating

I donā€™t think that the problem is related to users.
Using 2 different users lead to the same problem.

Anyway I checked your suggestion: when I want to login new, additional user in the nextcloud app, I get cloud not find host before I type in the login credentials.

Maybe you can test with another Nextcloud. You can get a 60 minutes free Nextcloud at https://try.nextcloud.com. Unfortunately, you now have to register there with a (spam) email address.

1 Like

Good idea!
With the trial the android apps work.

Now I checked ufw and iptables and ist seems to be fineā€¦

1 Like

Okay seems like itā€™s a problem with my dns provider not with the apps.

1 Like

I tested it again with the second android phone. Itā€™s working now but the first phones app canā€™t reach the server.

Is it possible top view or generate logs in the nextcloud app?

I canā€™t speak to log generation, but since this seems DNS-related: browser apps can ignore the deviceā€™s DNS settings in favor of their own, which might explain why the browser works and apps donā€™t. Comparing the two might get you your answer.
Iā€™d look extra hard at ā€œSecure DNSā€ if itā€™s turned on - if the DNS server youā€™ve otherwise configured doesnā€™t support DNS-over-TLS (DoT), this setting might override your settings and use Google instead.

2 Likes

tl;dr problem solved on itā€™s own.

Yesterday most other apps on my android didnā€™t have internet connection using mobile data. Today the everything is fine. The problem seems to be solved. I did not do any additional steps to fix it.

Thanky everyone for helping out with this!!!