Android app only works ONCE per install

Problem

When I install the Talk app on my Android phone, and start it up, I am able to login and see chats and everything works perfectly! Thank you for making such a useful tool!

Why am I writing you ask? Because that is all I get, one start up of the app. After putting my phone down and coming back to it any amount of time later (long or short), upon opening the app, it tries to load chats, and it stays in that state forever until I uninstall and re-install. I’ve tried to “Reauthorize account”, but the only thing that gets me back online is re-installing the app.

Web clients and the iphone app work great with the same server. A tcpdump on the server shows that the android phone doesn’t actually send any traffic to the server, so something must be failing on the phone itself. At the same time, I can connect to the server via the Nextcloud app (and browse files) on the same phone. I can also log in via the my web browser on the phone, and I can also load the talk app in the browser (although it is a bit klunky in the phone browser - I would much prefer a native app). So, network connectivity between the phone and the server isn’t the problem.

I didn’t pay attention to the version number on previous installs, but the latest Talk app I’m using is v15.1.1. The server is NextCloud Hub 3 (25.0.3). The phone is running Android 12 from LineageOS.

Nextcloud version (eg, 24.0.1): 25.0.3
Talk Server version (eg, 14.0.2): 15.0.3
Custom Signaling server configured: no
Custom TURN server configured: no
Custom STUN server configured: no

In case mobile Nextcloud Talk apps are involved:
Talk Android version (eg, 14.0.2): v15.1.1

The issue you are facing:

The Android Nextcloud Talk app works for one boot/start up, and then does not reconnect to the server after the first session.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N (I’ve noticed for a few weeks. I don’t know if it was happening before, since I wasn’t using the Talk app much.)

Steps to replicate it:

1. After the first session post-install, tap on the talk app to start the second session since install. That is when the failure happens. The app apears to be trying to connect and then eventually times out and shows “There was a problem loading your chats”.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging or errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/:

There are no logs to paste. During the time when I am testing the talk app, no log messages appear. This is a personal server, and I have very little traffic, so when I say there are NO logs, I mean it. As I mentioned above, the Android app doesn’t make it far enough to connect to the server.

NONE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

NONE

Thank you for your help!

I have the exact same problem on my Samsung S8. I can hear audio from the called party but they can never hear me after the first session, post install.
Did you ever figure out the problem?

I reverted to version Nextcloud Talk 17.0.1 and now my voice is heard by the called party for multiple sessions after install.
Talk 17.0.1