Android app auto-download (offline use) + media player

Hey guys, I am fairly new to Nextcloud and I struggle a little with its Android App.

1 - Is there any way that all files/folders can be automatically downloaded to my phone file system for offline use? I don’t wanna download them one by one but even when I do and I wanna delete them later they don’t automatically sync (delete) from my ‘original’ nextcloud folder.

2 - If not, can I, anyhow, use my ‘native’ audio/video player, let’s say VLC, for playing media files instead of Nextcloud built-in player. I am really having hard times using that one.

The best solution for me is that all files download to my phone automatically whenever there’s a connection so I can use them anytime offline. And they sync once I am connected again.
Cheers.

1 Like

I’ve been researching whether auto-download feature for specific directories is currently possible and haven’t found anything other than this post. Is this already possible? If not, is this a feature that could be implemented? I have videos downloaded by different containers on my server to my nextcloud and would love the ability to choose those specific directories to be auto-downloaded to make for convenient playback on the go. It would be an extremely useful feature to add imo.

The best solution for #2 is to use something like the Music App. It has server/media playback support for the Subsonic API, which then you can leverage a local app, I use Audinaut, which supports that API to stream music. You can keep local copies of the songs since the app will do that for you after you play them.

Is there a solution or work-around for @komiin 's point #1?

@wherzwaldo93 Not sure exactly what their use case is. If I have a folder that is synced via the app and I have a *.md file in that folder and if I want to delete the file in the app, it will ask me if I want to delete the file and/or only the local file.
So, it is feasible to delete the file on the server.

Off the top of my head, it does not seem like the Nextcloud app, which is a glorified web app would have full control over your memory card to just be able just download/sync folders, just like that. There are other options, outside the NC app that focus on that use. I have never used it but I have seen Syncthing being used for something akin to what OP wants.