Alexa Skill For Nextcloud?

you have but thought of programming an Alexa skill for nextcloud to read appointments or music from a folder nextcloud (such as Hidrive Skill also and German Cloud)

For the calendar, you could try any app or skill that is based on CardDAV.
If a music player supports files from webdav, you can use that.

I wonder which advantage it should bring to use Nextcloud as a “save habor” for your data and then give Alexa and Co. access to it - privacy couldn’t be the main driver in this case?! :thinking:

1 Like

I know this is an old topic, but thought I might bump it up again.

It would be super handy to be able to access/add to my calendar using Alexa. Re privacy, I mean if I have an Alexa in my home I’ve already agreed to letting them record everything I do, so they probably know what’s going in to my calendar before I do.

I’m all about data ownership and privacy, but as a quadriplegic, I have to concede that - imperfect as it is, Alexa has been a game changer for me.

But I digress.

I had big hopes for CALexia (DIY self host alexa skill - github project) to give it simple caldav access, but it seems to be a dead project.

I found another one that looks promising but it’s portuguese only currently:

Any portuguese+english speaking devs out there fancy doing a good deed to the world and doing a little PR to let this one work in English?

Anyway, probably never happen.

How could they make something so obviously useful then restrict it to Apple and Google calendars.
Ugh. I hate the world.

Peace out.

1 Like

I agree, such devices can be huge accessibility features for e.g. blind people or people with other disabilities or so.

Here is btw another skill in German language: Calendar and Amazon Echo - #4 by Michael_Wettach (ref Kalender in Amazon Alexa)

Though that one can only do CalDAV I.e. calendar.

Btw you can do a PR, too. If it is just adding some strings that may be possible, but I don’t know how that works.

Basically what anyone could do is really open an issue at least. So I did here and making the devs of other skills aware:

Hey, I’m the creator of this project. I use it almost every day and works perfectly fine.

To add a language you need to edit the intent.json file, specifically the “samples” list with phrases that Alexa will use to understand what you’re saying.

For example, in the CreateTaskIntent section, you can replace all samples with english ones like “create task {task_name}”. Then when you setup your skill you’ll say something like “Alexa ask Sabiá to create task x” and it will send the request to your server. You don’t need to open a PR or anything, you can use whatever sentences you want. Of course its good to have other languages available to the community.

thanks @rugk and @brenno ! i will take a look

Might be possible to add this to the Nextcloud Transifex as any easier way to find translation contributors. Perhaps @rakekniven could advise.

Hey I decided to put some time in this project again, to get it in a better shape. Stay tuned in the repo issues / prs if you want to receive updates. Cannot promise any timelines or a proper roadmap for now but I’m listing and working on some issues there.

2 Likes