After backing up the database and restoring it back, some tables are empty

Support intro

After backing up the database and restoring it back, some tables are empty.

Nextcloud version: 20.0.9
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version: nginx 1.18.0-0ubuntu1 arm64
PHP version: 7.4.3
DB version: PostgreSQL 12.6

After backing up the database and restoring it back, some tables are empty (oc_share and oc_bookmarks).

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N
I had the same problem with Nextcloud 20.0.8. Probably not version-related.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Make sure the source database has non-empty oc_shares and oc_bookmarks tables.
  2. Backup database using the command from Backup section
  3. Restore database using the command from Restoring Backup section

It seems not all tables are restored back. I haven’t done full DB comparison yet, but at least oc_share and oc_bookmarks tables are empty after the restore. Has anyone experienced this behavior?

did you check the backup files if they contain data for these two tables?

Did those tables have data in them PRIOR to the backup?

Yes. For example, there is COPY public.oc_share (id, share_type, ...) FROM stdin; statement with 75 lines of data, the same number as in the source table:

nextcloud=> select count(*) from oc_share;
 count 
-------
(1 row)

Yes. For example, the source oc_share has 75 records:

nextcloud=> select count(*) from oc_share;
 count 
-------
(1 row)

But the target oc_share is empty:

nextcloud=# select count(*) from oc_share;
 count 
-------
(1 row)

It is strange, because the backup data file also has 75 lines of data for oc_share. It feels something is wrong with the import, I’ll take a look at this when I have more time.

There were errors while restoring the database, which I didn’t notice initially:

ERROR:  character with byte sequence 0xe2 0x80 0x94 in encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in encoding "LATIN1"
CONTEXT:  COPY oc_bookmarks, line 14

ERROR:  character with byte sequence 0xd0 0xa7 in encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in encoding "LATIN1"
CONTEXT:  COPY oc_share, line 20

(and in a few other tables)

This probably explains the missing data in oc_bookmarks and oc_share, just need to figure out the encoding issue.

The issue was my destination system was configured with en_US locale instead of en_US.UTF-8 locale.

When PostgreSQL cluster was created, it used en_US to initialize itself, which cased encoding mismatch at restore time.

The fix was to drop the cluster, re-configure locale to en_US.UTF-8 with sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales, and then re-create the cluster.

Also, when testing db restoration, it is useful to run psql with --set ON_ERROR_STOP=on or --single-transaction options to immediately notice the errors.