Additional addresses for a server in client

It would be great if it were possible to assign additional host names for a server.

I decided to run a Nextcloud server on my local network. With a reverse SSH tunnel I made it accessible from the public internet so I can use it when I’m not home.

But I don’t want to use the public address of my server when I’m home, because that would make everything needlessly slow.

On my Linux machine I can work around this by modifying .config/Nextcloud/nextcloud.cfg but this doesn’t really help on mobile devices.

So it would be really useful if clients would know about alternative host names or IP addresses in case the main one is not working. (One helpful step further would be to also allow access to Tor onion services.)

Usually there is no need to use an alternative fqdn for a server, independently if you address it over the internet, on the lan or over a vpn. You only have to make sure that the domain name is correctly set, by e.g. installing a local dns server which assigns a different ip address to the host name - that’s all. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of this simple solution.

Already set it up and it seems to works fine.

1 Like