Understanding Nextcloud and how to automate it with tools such as Flow, Node-Red, n8n.io and other services

I’m unclear on whether flow will be able to compete with Microsoft Flow in office 365. Adding support for 3rd party services such as n8n.io could be a game changer in bolstering integrations!

I checked Flow, Poll, Forms and Office packages but there is almost no automation feature available within these Nextcloud apps that I can find… I’m looking for:

• Use of available webhooks / APIs with external, fully open source applications such as n8n.io or Hugin or Node-Red. They are an open alternative to IFTTT or Zapier.
  • Nice interface.
  • Integrate these external services with flow

Automate spreadsheets and polls

I was working on the shared cost report from a reunion weekend. All information come through spreadsheets and doodles. The calculation of each shared cost, depending on certain weighting figures and individual expenses is purely based on formulas, so it could be easily automated in an overall workflow if an app would allow me to do so.

Merge two Kanban programs - Taiga & Deck

I don’t want to manage Deck (see this n8n support request) and Taiga (for more complex projects) in parallel, so using n8n would be great to keep both apps aligned.

See this documentation explaining Nextcloud integration and Taiga integration in n8n. Also starting a new topic on n8n integration in Nextcloud.

Mod Note - this has been re-written with OP’s permission for clarity.

Original post can be read by clicking this

Post 1

a beginners question what would be necessary to have triggers available in Nextcloud - Node - n8n.io?
Could Workflow external scripts - Apps - App Store - Nextcloud a trivial solution?

Post 2

interesting topic. Would you mind to adapt your first topic and extend it more?

Post 3

I was working on the shared cost report from a reunion weekend. All information come through spreadsheets and doodles. The calculation of each shared cost, depending on certain weighting figures and individual expenses is purely based on formulas, so it could be easily automated in an overall workflow if an app would allow me to do so.

So I checked Flow, Poll, Forms and Office packages but there is almost no automation feature available but searching revealed some examples on n8n what has a very nice interface, so I thought, why not skip all the work at the front end but ensure that there enough webhooks / APIs available to allow external apps like n8n or Huginn (both OSS) do the hard work.

Just avoid reinventing the wheel as n8h has decent UI, what is far better than the one of NC. In
addition, it provides an endless number of interfaces to other apps, so you extend the functionality of NC easily.

As I browsed through all the integration I noticed that it supports Taiga as well. They will release a new major release soon, what makes me consider using it, as the UI will looks that much better.
I don’t want to manage Dacks and Taiga (for more complex projects) in parallel, so using n8n would be great to keep both apps alinged.

I think there are even more examples. The more we think about them the more we will find.
Using “external script” could be trigger towards n8n (or node-red).

in a nutshell, there is reason to doubt that NC flow will get somewhere close to MS Flow (as part of o365) somewhen soon.
Using apps like n8n (although relying on 3rd party) could tell otherwise.

1 Like

There is now a Webhooks app in the appstore, which supports Flow. Here is the github repo.

Linking missing apps and feature requests comment here. @PackElend do I have your permission to turn your post into a wiki?

yes, please go ahead.
Would love to see to interact with much more apps using apps like Node-Red or 8n8.

1 Like