Actual app vs. web interface

I have two android devices on which I installed your app (same version 3.14.1). On one it behaves “regularly” while on the other it behaves basically just as a browser to the web-frontend. The main difference I can see is that the former runs Android 9 while the latter runs Android 10. What am I doing wrong? I would like to have the regular app behavior.

Can you please be more precise and describe IN DETAIL what messages are displayed. It might be a good idea to provide screenshots of the app. A redirect to the web gui is usually only done for the initial account setup. Have you already finished that task?

There are no messages displayed. It is a bit hard, to provide a screenshot that doesn’t contain personal data, but if you think it helps: The first picture shows the standard app while the second picture shows what’s just the web-frontend.
The initial account setup has happened in both cases. Although in the second (problematic) case the login is not stored (i.e. when I restart the app, I have to reenter the login data). So essentially I suppose the app is not coming back from the web gui redirect.

The initial account setup has happened in both cases. Although in the second (problematic) case the login is not stored (i.e. when I restart the app, I have to reenter the login data). So essentially I suppose the app is not coming back from the web gui redirect.

Yes, that was also my assumption and the reason why I asked how it looks like. If you can the authentication task done. I always recommend to set-up an app password on the server and use it to authenticate your Android app.

I tried that, but it doesn’t make a difference: I can login with the app password, but the app still doesn’t complete the gui login.

Incidentally in Security → Sessions the logins from the working device are shown as “Mozilla/5.0 (Android) Nextcloud-android/3.14.1” while the ones from the non-working device are shown as “Samsung DEVICE-NO (Android)”.

That makes me wonder: does the nextcloud app bring its own browser, or does it use an installed one?

Have you tried to disable all kind of web blocking or filter apps on your Android device?
Have you tried to change the default browser on the Android device? For me it looks like the Nextcloud Android app relies on the Mozilla web API, because I can see the same user agent string as you mentioned.

This happens on a brand new device. Getting Nextcloud to work was basically the first thing I tried. So I doubt this problem is about some weird settings I made somewhere. And while there is a lot of bloat ware, I doubt it blocks other apps’ traffic.

The first time I tried, the connection might have been restricted somehow (by my university’s weird security policy) but now there should be a direct connection.

P.S.: yes I did before even posing here. But as you suggest, it probably doesn’t make a difference.

After I enter the server address, the app says “Testing connection”. Is there any way to get a log of that process? Because perhaps the app deliberately decides to stay in web frontend mode (is that a possibility?) and then it would be interesting to learn why.

I still have no solution for this issue and I would very much appreciate suggestions on how to track down the problem.

@switzel and for anyone else still wondering how to fix this issue in 2023: If you have two factor autentication enabled, the app automatically switches to the browser version because it’s the only way it can log you in asking for TFA.

You must create and use an app password, you can do it in “Personal settings” → “Security” and scroll down to the bottom. You can also click “Show QR code for mobile” and login with the QR code.