Accessing to a samba server Where is External Storage?

Hello everyone,

Iā€™m new on this forum, my name is Jean-Philippe from France, Jura.
Iā€™m a long time Linux user (and sometime code writer).

Iā€™ve installed nextcloud on a Debian Jessie server and I would like that my users can access (ro) to files on a samba server (OpenMediaVault), so I read a lot of docs, I installed php5-libsmbclient, the external user support in NextCloud,
but I cant configure it, Iā€™ve searched for few days and I cannot find where is the EXTERNAL STORAGE option that the doc talk about.

If someone could help please ?

Thanks

Jean-Philippe

On my Nextcloud 11 server, installed from the zip file as described on the Install page, the ā€œExternal storage supportā€ app is installed and enabled by default.

(I originally installed Nextcloud from git, but found that many of the ā€œstandardā€ features were not installed. After struggling to enable the 2nd or 3rd standard feature I re-installed from zip, after which everything has worked as documented)

To create an SMB mount point, I did this:

• login as an admin
  • click my name at the top right and select ā€˜adminā€™
  • select ā€˜External storagesā€™ on the left
  • enter a name for the external storage location (personally, I begin all external storage mountpoints with ā€œ_ā€ so that they sort to the top of the file list, like this: ā€œ_Dataā€)
  • Select ā€˜SMB / CIFSā€™ from the ā€˜Add storageā€™ pull-down
  • Enter the requested server and login information

When the information is correct the status indicator at the left will become a green dot.

On the same admin screen is a check-box to ā€œAllow users to mount external storageā€. If you check that box you can allow users to create their own connections to external storage using the protocols you select from this list:

• FTP
  • WebDAV
  • Nextcloud
  • SFTP
  • Amazon S3
  • Dropbox
  • Google Drive
  • OpenStack Object Storage
  • SMB / CIFS

Hi Jean-Philippe,

I have the same setup working. Iā€™m sure I can get this working fo you. I have a few questions. Have you got samba shares working on Jessie. On nextcloud can you log in as Admin and click on files, top left. You should get a list of options, one being apps. Let me know if you donā€™t see that option.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your replys
Finaly, I reinstall all from the beginning (before I removed the nextcloud database) following the doc as mmccarn did and now I have the external storage :slight_smile:
but it is still not working, I donā€™t understand if I must or not configure mount points from the Linux shell before configuring in Nextcloud. That is not clear for me.

I must say that I had to activate the 2 modules External storage support and External user support.
Jean-Philippe

I just forgot to say that if I mount samba shares manually, I can accĆØs to my samba server from the command line.

Hello again,

It works fine, I helped me with the samba server syslog to see what was wrong, it was just the field subfolder that I had to let blank in my case.

Thanks a lot

For those that have the same problem, the samba server must not be already mounted from the Linux system under nextcloud.

Jean-Philippe