Accessing SMB share anonymously

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): [Nextcloud Hub 3] (25.0.1)
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian (OpenMediaVault)
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): docker
PHP version (eg, 7.4): docker

So my setup is as follows: OS is OpenMediavault with Proxmox Kernel , ZFS and a RAID-Z Pool of 3 hard disks.
Home usage with 3 family users, everybody access everything principle.
From this pool SMB shares are done and are anonymously mapped from Windows and Linux.

On top of OpenMediaVault I have Nextcloud installed in Docker. Nextcloud is accessing the SMB share via “External Storage” app, at this moment using my user credentials.

I have a problem with the access rights:

• when the share is accessed via Windows or Linux all new files and folders are created inheriting the existing user rights (user: root / group: users)
  • when Nextcloud (both from browser or android app) creates new files and folders they cannot be accessed by other users. I have noticed that Nextcloud creates the new files and folders as user: nobody and group: users.

My question is how can I achieve that Nextcloud creates files and folders that can be accessed by everybody.

If there is another way to achieve this, please let me know, or show me the direction (I will do the research :slight_smile: )

Many thanks.

Normally files would be created owned by the logged in user. This is true of most systems and share protocols. If this is not happening then it’s on the server side which is actually in control of the filesystem.

I’ve never used OpenMediaVault so I’m not sure what would cause that. Nextcloud isn’t assigning file ownership or permissions on the remote end, all it does is log in as the indicated user. My expectation would be the files are owned by you instead of nobody.

Do you get the same behavior if you mount the share from one of your computers using the same login?

What rights are assigned to the group?

Hi, and thanks.

User, group and other have all ‘rw’ rights. Because of this I am making from time to time a recursive chmod…

I will check how the OpenMediaVault handles this.