Accessing nextcloud

Hi,
unfortunately I cannot provide you with the requested details of my installation because i have no longe access to it.

My Nextcloud was running nicely. About 4 weeks ago I decided that I would switch from Pi2 to Pi3. I did this switch with the image provided at that time. It worked very well. Except: I could not access my system anymore because something went wrong during the creation of user 1 - exactly as predicted by Olivier Paroz in his article concerning this issue.
Unfortunately we had a power shortage in our home last week. During powering up my Speedport-Router decided that my Nextcloud needs a new ip-address. And now I need access to the system.

My questions:

1. Is there a way to go back to my old ip-Adress with my Speedport-Router?
  2. Is there a way to add my new ip-address to the list of trusted domains? (Keeping in mind that there is No access to the system)

Thanks for any help

Not so nice :wink:

Are you referencing this article?

If your speedport router would support a link of MAC-address and IP-address, then yes (according to this thread it does not).
WORKAROUND: make your Pi2 the DHCP-server for your LAN (Instruction can be found here. Chapter 4:Assign a fixed address.

I can’t give a clear answer on this. For me you need access to the nc-config-file, which is only granted to the system-user. But maybe there is another way.

Hi,
yes, this is the (very helpull9 article.

You confirm my suspicion that the Speedport is not suited for tasks as this (no hairpin | loopback as well).

Most probably you are right with your suspicion that i need access to the system. Makes sense

I thought i give it a try and ask experts for help because building it all again from scratch is no fun.

Thanks for your help

You’re welcome!

One hint for the future:
If you use a Pi as DHCP-Server you can also add DNS (bind9) with no problem. By doing so, you can configure NC to a real trusted domain (like cloud.example.localnet) and not to a IP-Address. Makes life much easier and gives a better user experience :wink:

Hi,
This sounds REALLY GREAT!
You have any further reading on this subject?
Thank you

This article describes how to setup a pi as NTP server, DHCP server & DNS. For me a absolute “must have”!

You just solved your problem on your own:

Hi,
no - absolutely not. This is only possible in a local network - and only with the generic [quote=“Hollerauer, post:7, topic:14960”]
URL: ​http://nextcloud.local
[/quote]

I can not use my ip adress for accessing the cloud via the net nor can i use DynDns for secure access…

So, actually i dropped a working system, worked a day to find out that i’m precisely at the same spot as before.
Very, very frustrating!
Perhaps i only need a little hint but at the moment i don’t know how to access my newly created Nextcloud Box system

Thanks for you help

Ok. So first of all, we have to document the progress you made.

1. You reinstalled your Pi3 image (after your initial installation described here and were not able to create a system user again?)
  2. You can access your NC via nextcloud.local from your local network (doesn’t matter if nexcloud shows an security warning. Important is, that the domain is resolved)
  3. Your current problems are:
    a) You can not accesss NC via web
    b) You can not access your system (handled by a different post)

Your root problem is, that you can not access the system. Without solving this, you will probably not be able to solve your problems referring to nextcloud. So you should focus on this.

It is hard for me to advice you more, because I have the impression that the good idea behind the nexcloud box (out of the box and ready to use system) has become your nightmare (as upgrading this system is not out of the box).
That’s why I tell you now, what I would do in your position:

1. Downgrade your nextcloud box to Pi2 to have nextcloud up and running. (Should be easy. If not skip it)
  2. Try to create your own nextcloud installation on Pi3 starting from an ubuntu mate image or even better from a raspbian image (might take much longer, than just copy an image on a sd-card, but you will learn much more and will be able to control your system afterwards)

Hi Hollerauer
that is quit some food for thought!
I prefer suggestion 1. Downgrade

Since i still have the original micro SD card for the pi 2 (i hate going back to Pi2) I will probably revert to this system

But before i do this i will tinker a bit more and continue trying to understand the new Pi3 system - you gave same valuable hints in your second post.

Thnaks again

You’re welcome.

And I have even more food for you :wink:

For me one idea of nextcloud is to be in control of your data. The nextcloud box is a good point to start from, no discussion on that. But control over your data also means to understand the whole system and it’s requirements.

By analyzing the requirements you can easily reach a point, where you realize that a pi (doesn’t matter which) is not the preferred hardware for your use case (eg. too many bottlenecks in performance (usb2hdd, Memory, single network interface, etc)).

I myself came to this conclusion (also starting from nextcloud on pi2) and decided not to move my installation to a pi3 but to an mid-age desktop-pc. Maybe you should also think about this as an option for your next steps.

The Use of Docker-container might be also interesting for you…

Is it me or the only problem that’s been had here is the change of the IP address of the system?

From the posts, I see that the Nextcloud server can’t be accesed through the internet, but how about from intranet (a computer on the same network)?
Do you have acces to the machine Pi3?
→ I’m thinking all you have to do is configure the Pi3 to use static IP address instead of getting one from the router.

@tglaria

And because of Murphy’s law:

In the end it might be too much for someone with only a limited little brain.

Thank you

yes, thats right.

How could this be achieved without access to the system? Please
Thanks for your help and interest.

I guess I didn’t asked correctly.
I meant if he had physical access to the machine.

Of course, If you don’t know any user password, you’d have to find out a way to recover one of those first.

Without physical (or remote) access to the machine, I have no idea.
I did not understand what was the problem, I tought it was only that the ip address had changed, not that you couldn’t have acces to it (physically, or through ssh).