About to give up on Nextcloud

A question is outstanding: when ā€œdecompressed,ā€ how much disk space does NC package use, not including personal data files?

Well, ever heard about setup and forget? :smiley: Many users of the VM run it that way. It just works. So I talk from experiance.

Sure, things may crash, and without knowledge youā€™re kind of screwed. But thereā€™s help to get from multiple places.

Hmm, I didnā€™t double check but Iā€™d guess around 300 MB, excluding database.

Curiously, when I went to DO, I find that they are using php not using php 7.4. This does not comport with others blaming bugging php for the problems I saw. The plot has thickend, at least for me.

You need to choose the right server.

Ubuntu 16.04 = PHP 7.0
Ubuntu 18.04 = PHP 7.2
Ubuntu 20.04 = PHP 7.4

DOā€™s site said 7.3. So the installer probably goes the next step.

In any event, Iā€™ve decided that the payoff at this point is not sufficient to invest more time and effort as my needs are so basic. Iā€™ve got other methods to coordinate between files between devices and, even tho it does not include automagical sysycing, it suffices for my needs. Iā€™ll wait for php 7.4 o my share host.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

TBH nextcloud is not intended for shared hosts. You can flip a coin and it might work but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s installed with the required specifications or secure on your shared host.

Itā€™s really intended for users who have knowledge of system administration. Who have control of the bare hardware or Kvm/VPS with full root access.

1 Like

When I did a re-install, I used the download recommended for shared hosts, the "web installer " at: https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server.

This thread has taken off on tangents.

/Roger

They donā€™t have to. There are tools that makes it easier. Just sayinā€¦

Yup. And the second there is a problem that the tool doesnā€™t cover or the tool itself has youā€™re SOL.

Iā€™m not saying those tools are bad though. Just that the end user should have basic knowledge on system administration.

@private.guy You can use it on shared hosts. Youā€™re also at their mercy when it comes to system configuration and security. As @Reiner_Nippes has pointed out the php versions used are the likely culprit here.

1 Like

Dear private.guy,

It seams you are having problems that you cannot resolve on your own or with the forum. As a professional cloud provider I suggest you focus on finding a Nextcloud provider that fits your needs. We are a Dutch company and are compliant with all the rules and regulations as defined by the Dutch government and EU. Therefore we have one of the highest standards in the world concening Datasecurity and Privacy.

Check us out @ www.datatitan.nl or send a message using our webform.

Kind regards,
DataTitan
The Netherlands

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.