About to give up on Nextcloud

@private.guy

so do I see that right and you don’t blame Nextcloud, the software being responsible for other software’s built-in glitches?
And then you complain about nobody wanting to help you? Because you didn’t pay anything for Nextcloud, the software?

Ummmm… I, personally, think that’s a bit of a biased way to look at it.

But wells, of course it’s up to you to “give up on Nextcloud”. Do it. And get happy with all future softwares/services you’re gonna install to your poor shared hosting-partner.

Me, walking in your shoes, would rather re-think the arguments that some guys here brought up and then get away from a shared service.

1 Like

based on google search it is.

probably click one this icons (if this is what you see in your cpanel) and search for “drop database”

if you use another version of cpanel i guess the view is similar.

nope. to run a plesk command on a cpanel controlled machine is of course nonsense.

yes. but someone has. and you have to find that guy and open a ticket for him to fix your problem. php7.4 was release three month ago. so he should hurry up. or?

Reiner: is it PHP broken or NC 19.x that is broken?

Neither php nor nextcloud 19.x are broken.

I had Plesk installed on my server years ago. I had some issues with custom installations, after switch to an non Plesk server, it runs very good.

1 Like

@private.guy
@Lars_M is right.
I started to install ownCloud from the 6th version.
Without knowing anything on Webserver / php / database.
I struggled myself to install ownCloud on a Windows IIS server.
After the first crashes and bugs (bad sync or broken filename), someone advised me to install the server on a real Linux server.
I learnt a lot on this Ubuntu, Apache2, PHP, Mysql etc and i stopped to have crashes on my ownCloud.
Then i followed the move on Nextcloud and i installed it on several devices : RaspberryPi, SharedHosting, VPS, big servers…
I can tell you for sure SharedHosting are the worst. If you don’t have a very efficient provider, you will lost time and money with this services.
You don’t have the hand on a lot of things, logs or tweaks. Nextcloud or ownCloud or Pydio or anything can crash someday and you won’t be able to know why quickly.
If you aren’t familiar with Linux server, give it a go with virtual machine or raspberry pi and follow tutorials and make tests.
If you don’t want to understand because it’s your will, i advise you to find nextcloud providers for hosting your data.
Nextcloud is really a good piece of service/software, far better than Onedrive-Gdrive. Don’t throw it away without seeing that it can work well.

4 Likes

To all of those with comments about buying in on support, this is a quote from the top of the Forum:

"Our forums are for home users and contributors to discuss and ask questions about Nextcloud. We also post news and other information here.

“If you’re in need of support for your enterprise Nextcloud instance, this is NOT the place. Our forums are meant for private users”

THIS applies to my case. I don’t run a virtual machine. I loaded an installer provided by NC for a shared host. Followed directions. Now I understand that there may be bugs in PHP that lead to my lack of success. Some replied that I should do certain things incompat with my setup - not helpful. I’m not trying to start a flame war - just expressing frustration. Will close out this thread with a thanks to all who pointed the way, which I read as wait and hope for the best when PHP 7.4 is available to me, which I expect to be soon.

Best regards.

As mentioned before, run it yourself in a VPS instead of shared hosting.

If you want an easy way to set it up (menus and all kinds of fancy stuff), the Nextcloud VM might be an option for you (step three is valid for a VPS):

2 Likes

Thanks, Enoch. But for the time being, I’m staying with lower cost. And, a VM would streach my capabilities. I do understand the difficulties of using a shared host and am in the process of examining other hosting services. Of course, maintenance / security are very important and I’d rather leave that to a trusted service.

1 Like

I fully understand your concerns, but I have to mention two things:

1. Maintaining the VPS/VM is really just one command: sudo bash /var/scripts/update.sh. It updates the whole server, including Nextcloud and it’s dependencies.

2. You say “trusted service”. Well, if it doesn’t work then it might not be that trustworthy. I mean they should check that everything works before doing stuff, which doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Your call of course.

All I’m saying is, maintaining a VPS doesn’t have to be hard. Just use the right tools. The VM scripts are made exactly for that reason - making it easy to use and maintain.

Also, the “real” VM is this link:

If you need help, I’m here.

2 Likes

Enoch:

You have given me food for thought! But, I would have to change hosting / providers. I won’t setup a server at home as it would violate my ISP’s terms of service. I’ve thought of moving to panix.com but they are a bit pricey w/o going the VPS route, as I understand it. So, I’d have to find a host w/ good pricing, etc.

Thanks for the offer of being “here to help.” Now I’m torn between going “back to work” om projects that I’ve neglected and pursuing this further. That was compounded by doing a new PC build that took more time than I thought it would.

/Roger

1 Like

two versions of php 7.2.32 and 7.3.20 are know to cause trouble not only with Nextcloud. (Also Typo3)

changing the version of nextcloud don’t help.

so you have to wait for 7.2.33, 7.3.21 or 7.4 to appear in your cpanel. (or what ever version of php will fix it.)

as you can read here https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015261059-NextCloud-and-Typo3-applications-are-not-stable-on-Plesk-PHP-7-2-32-and-7-3-20 in plesk it’s already fixed.

so call or email your hoster and demand a fix for the problem in their cpanel setup. (or change your hoster. :wink: )

@private.guy I’d recomend DigitalOcean. They have been working really really well for the past 5 years I’ve been using them.

You can get an account here:

Right now you get 100$ free for 60 days it seems. Give it a try!

1 Like

I’m skittish because of lack of knowledge. I need web space, email, etc. Not about to setup an email server. Worry about my ability to maintain a secure web server, etc. I’m just a poor end-user / “hobbyist” and not a dev. But thanks for the thought and the conversation. I’m hoping the “bug” will be fixed and that php 7.4 will soon be available on my hosting site.

Out of curiosity, how much disk space is needed for the VM version of NC, not counting personal data?

If I may suggest if you need a cheap VPS try Scaleway, their ‘dev’ servers start from 5,00 euro per month. (2 cores, 2Gb RAM, 20 Gb storage)

Sometimes the connection is slow but generally for me acceptable. They also offer ‘instant’ images that deploy Nextcloud for you. Although I would not recommend that, as you still have to configure a lot yourself and possibly are behind in updates (PHP etc).

Or perhaps Contabo https://contabo.de/?show=konfigurator&vserver_id=206
(4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 200 GB SSD storage)

I would second the suggestion for DigitalOcean. They have great instructions on their site for setting it up manually, but also have single click installations that will do all the heavy lifting for you. You can keep the email at your shared host and just point a subdomain to the DigitalOcean IP address for your NextCloud droplet, as DigitalOcean calls them. This is a lot easier than it seems. I’ve found that shared hosting does have limitations with NextCloud and the scripts to install the files and or updates do have those limitations on the PHP of the shared server it’s on. There are also advanced ways to troubleshoot SQL issues with logins as well once PHP is resolved, but if you run it on DigitalOcean… you wouldn’t have any of those limitations and will see huge speed improvements in syncing and general use.

Side Thought: Have you thought about installing it on a home computer/server? There’s a little bit more knowledge needed for accessing it outside your network, but it might be a good start to learning more and getting a lot better price to performance.

3 Likes

Thanks for the additional thoughts on DO. For now, I’ve need to go back to other projects, naps, etc. As mentioned before, I can not serve myself - violates terms with my ISP and I can not switch. I will think about, for fun, trying DO just for NC. BUT, I don’t want to have things split across multiple services in the long term, e.g., mail on shared host and other on DO. There are other problems, periodically, with the shared host. E.g., from time-to-time, their smtp servers get black listed and my emails bounce! I raised that issue loudly; others must have to because that issue seems to have diminished. Thanks again.

@private.guy You say you don’t have the knowledge to run a server, but at the same time you have the knowledge to run Cpanel?

To me, Cpanel is harder than setting up a server at DO.

If a GUI is what you’re looking for, DO is as much a GUI as Cpanel on a shared hosting, they just do different things.

My two cents.

@enoch85 and @private.guy
I do not use cPanel. But the risk of klicking-admin-tools like cPanel is that because of zero-administration-knowledge with a small error the whole systems breaks and the only repair option is because of zero-knowledge a forum or a restore.

1 Like

I don’t see it often that a user is so aware of his situation. I think it is dangerous promoting Nextcloud just by telling, just run this maintenance command is everything you need to do. Well, it is neither magic nor extremely difficult, but if you don’t have prior experience, plan to invest some time setting up, backing up and maintaining a server.

Many start slow, just a virtual server or rapsberry pi in their local network. That a good way to get some practise. You have seen some tools make it seem easy to run a server until there is a problem. Hosting environments are especially difficult since they behave like a black box, a plain linux server is best in this case since more people can help you.

4 Likes