About the collectives category

Collectives is a Nextcloud App for activist and community projects to organize together. Come and gather in collectives to build shared knowledge.

• Collective and non-hierarchical workflow by heart : Collectives are tied to a Nextcloud Circle and owned by the collective.
  • Collaborative page editing like known from Etherpad thanks to the Text app
  • Well-known Markdown syntax for page formatting

Is there anywhere that gives a bit more detail about this app? The store page is quite limited in detail, and the one-sentence summary doesnā€™t really tell me why it was created.

What does ā€œorganize togetherā€ mean? Is this a to-do list, a OneNote type of application, or just a notes app ā€“ what makes it unique?

1 Like

Hello @Michael_L,

which information would you expect from the description in app store? Thereā€™s also a user documentation linked from the app store: Nextcloud Collectives

What does ā€œorganize togetherā€ mean? Is this a to-do list, a OneNote type of application, or just a notes app ā€“ what makes it unique?

Collectives is mainly meant for groups to work on documents collaboratively and organize their knowledge collectively. This can be any kind or communities, interest groups or work teams. But Collectives might also be useful for single-user usage - when you want to organize your personal knowledge database.

1 Like

I guess I was hoping for some specifics of what the app does rather than general statements.

For example:

Collectives is a Nextcloud App for activist and community projects to organize together. Come and gather in collectives to build shared knowledge.

ā€œOrganize togetherā€ can be done in various ways - shared task lists, calendar software, meetings (virtual or in person), kanbans, etc - so ā€œorganizingā€ is a great goal but doesnā€™t tell me how this app will help do it. Also ā€¦ if I have a small company would it work for that too or do you think only collectives and activists would benefit from this?

Collective and non-hierarchical workflow by heart: Collectives are tied to a Nextcloud Circle and owned by the collective.

What is ā€˜non-hierarchical workflow by heartā€™? I think perhaps Iā€™m missing something important but I just donā€™t know what this is saying. To me, ā€œby heartā€ usually refers to memorizing things (similar to saying, ā€˜by roteā€™) but perhaps others read that differently.

I think this is meant to be either a collaborative word processor or note-taking app that lets multiple people edit pages at the same time. Iā€™m not clear if the ā€˜pagesā€™ can be sorted into folders or workbooks, flagged or ranked by priority or date or colour labels, if I can drop in photos or if the pages are only markup text with links, does it send notifications if pages I worked on before have been edited ā€¦ things like that.

So thatā€™s what I mean - there isnā€™t much detail about the features and almost nothing about how it works. I donā€™t know if I should install it or if it isnā€™t for me just based on the description.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Collectives FAQ