A Document disappeared - how can I trace when was it last on the system?

I had a file in a shared doc.
It disappeared.
How can I trace when it was last on the system and who watched it last??
Is it repairable??
Thank you

• Check the Nextcloud log file for related information.
  • Check the activity stream for related information.
  • Check all trash bins for versions of the file.
  • Use your regular backup to restore the latest file version.

Hi @j-ed
Thank you for your suggestions.

1. Where do I find the relevant log file?
  2. What do you mean by activity stream??
  3. All trash bins - meaning I should enter the accounts of all my users and check their deleted files??
  4. Regular back-ups???
    Yup - ignorant noob - that’s me.
    Any help is appreciated.

Where do I find the relevant log file?

Check your Nextcloud configuration file, which should logfileparameter. If this parameter hasn’t be set, you should check the Nextcloud data directory.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/configuration_server/logging_configuration.html?highlight=logfile

What do you mean by activity stream??

File changes are usually generating activities for each user or for admins if you’ve configured them. These activities are shown using the activity app.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/configuration_server/activity_configuration.html?highlight=activities

All trash bins - meaning I should enter the accounts of all my users and check their deleted files??

As an administrator you can search all directories on the console. You find them under the Nextcloud data directory, e.g. .../data/<user>/files_trashbin.

Entering the accounts one-by-one using the Impersonate app would also be possible. (BTW, this cannot be such a problem big problem, because you seem not to create regular backups and that is normally not the case in business or production environments :wink: )

Regular back-ups???

Yes, that should be the most important lesson you’ve learned from this issue.

Wow - I am humbled by such extensive reply.
I’ll start learning how to back up!!

p.s
I am only 10% sysadmin of a small group of people running a charity. we don’t trust tech too much, but we’re trying to learn…