25.0.4 to 25.0.5 update problem

I’m going to try to reload tonight. I’m going to load the os and nextcloud

Just in case: there must not be a space after the colon.

So I reload the OS and nextcloud last night. The OS is 20.04LTS and NC 25.0.5. but I still can’t get my dad a directory to change ownership and I do not understand what’s going on. Oh I don’t know if it matters or not but it is a 114 TB raid five drive.

What says

mount | grep /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C

What I noticed on the “screen-photos” (by the way, Ubuntu has builtin screenshot features, no need to paint it van Gogh wise :wink:) is that you first become root by su and then still use sudo for the commands.

su makes you root but inside of your josh environment.
To avoid side effects caused by mixing environments, you should not use sudo su to get a root-shell. Instead you should use

sudo -i

Once you are root you do not have to use sudo anymore, for commands such as chown or chmod, as you did in the provided photos.

Yes I know when I become root I don’t need to use the sudo. I was just trying something different since nothing else seems to work. Through the course of my research into this problem. It appears that it’s because of my format of nfts it’s not allowing me to change the user name permissions

I did not know that about mix environments or the sudo -i . I will give it a try when I get home.

Exactly what I had already suspected. You can find out if it realy is NTFS with:

blkid | grep sdb

NTFS is one of the most unsuitable file systems to host the data directory, as it cannot implement unix file permissions. Even though the allow_other option allow other users as the one who mounted the drive have access, this could be the source of the error.

My advise would be to reformat the raid, preferably with ext4, than you’ll have all the advantages of a journaling unix file system.

Yes it’s truly a ntfs file system. I thought that was at the time the best for such a large drive. I guess I was wrong.

Try to mount the drive with this line in your /etc/fstab:

LABEL="CLOUD"  /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C   ntfs-3g defaults,uid=33,gid=33 0 0

that should mount the drive so that it belongs to your www-data user.

It is even better to add the permissions Option to the string:

LABEL="CLOUD"  /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C   ntfs-3g defaults,uid=33,gid=33,permissions  0  0

The permissions option maps Windows-style ACLs to Unix-style permissions, allowing you to set permissions on the NTFS drive.

After mounting the drive with these options, you can use standard Unix utilities like chmod and chown to change the permissions and ownership of files and directories on the drive.

Keep in mind that NTFS is a proprietary filesystem, and some operations like setting file permissions may not work as expected.

ok i put this in my fstab

LABEL=“CLOUD” /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C ntfs-3g defaults,uid=33,gid=33,permissions 0 0
and the ownership did change to www-data

thank you so much for the help

1 Like

would the ext4 work well with such a large raid?

For such a large storage volume, XFS or Btrfs would be a good choice. XFS has been used in many large-scale storage systems and is optimized for high-performance I/O and large files. It can support storage volumes up to 8 exabytes in size, which should be sufficient for your needs. Btrfs is also a good option, as it provides advanced features like snapshots and checksumming, and can handle up to 16 exabytes of data. However, Btrfs is still considered relatively new and may not be as stable as XFS in some cases.

But this becomes very much off topic :wink:

so I ended up having to format to XFS file system. i was just having to many problems with the system. now that ive changed to XFS a lot of the problems seems to have been fixed. but is there any configs or tweeks that are not listed that will improve the system performance?

… which corresponds to the expectations.

… listed where? Did you mean the Jack-of-all-trades-tweak that everyone keeps as their best secret or something special and you just don’t know how to look for it yourself yet?

There are just so incredibly many areas where you could gain milliseconds, eliminate bottlenecks or improve security. The best thing is to deal intensively with the subjects and read, learn, learn, read. So as in this case where the file system was causing troubles. First identify the problem, then solve it :wink:

yes that is what I mean. the Jack-of-all-trades-tweak.

I dont know if you have ran into this problem yet of not. i have been syncing my files to my server. using the NC client for windows. and Ive noticed that after it syncs the folder becomes read only and wont let me change it. any ideas why this is happening?