Nextcloud version : 25.0.4
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Apache version : 2.4.41
PHP version : 7.4.3-4

The issue you are facing:
Upgrade failed on “Move new files in place”

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Y

No errors in nextcloud updater.log or anywhere else

How to fix or rollback? Unfortunately i’m not an advanced in linux.
Now my server have “Update in process” status and i’m unable to do anything.
Maybe some console commands i need to use to repair?
Thanks for help i waitng for.

Yeah I had the same problem just yesterday. What I did is I checked my config file. To see what version nextcloud is in the config file. Then I downloaded the correct nextcloud. (So this is how I rolled my nextcloud back to 25.0.4.1) I then renamed my nextcloud file in the /var/www/nextcloud to /var/www/nextcloud -old. Then unzip the nextcloud you just downloaded. When that’s done. You need to copy the config the data and the apps file from your old nextcloud to the new one. Then you should have access to the system. You might get a message saying system is in maintenance if you get that message then you will need to adjust your configuration or use the OCC command to turn off maintenance. I simply just opened up my config file and change maintenance from true to false. I hope this helps

Before I forget. If you do it this way you will have to run the sudo chown -R www-data:www-data nextcloud/ command so all the files you just put there Will have the appropriate permissions

Thanks for your reply. For now I have restored the previous version from a backup.

I would have done the same but I couldn’t find the backup that was made during the update

I found backups in nextcloud/data/updater-[some letters and digits]/backups

Yeah I looked there but they were missing. But it’s all good. Since I knew how to recover a different way.

My question really is why did this happen to us. And what is the fix for it. Does anyone else know? I’m going to give it a try on the command line to see if it will complete the update.

My web updater says there is a update but the OCC command upgrade says I’m at the latest version.

I updated to 25.0.5 as well over the web and after that I tried to replace my container with the 25.0.5 image, but there is none. The docker image is still on 25.0.4. That is probably why you have that odd behaviour.
Also sucks for me since I cannot start the container anymore till 25.0.5 comes as image (no time to tinker around with it).

I still don’t see any mention of version 25.0.5 on the update history page
Changelog - Nextcloud
Perhaps this is some kind of technical error and the update is not yet fully ready

RC1s of 25.0.5, 24.0.11. This is what I found as I did a quick search

These are also the complete changelogs, there were no other modifications after the RC1s.

Any idea when the Nextcloud image 25.0.5 will appear on dockerhub? Thank you in advance!

Edit: The answer is 7 minutes ago. :slight_smile:

Edit 2: Something super weird seems to be happening - they are gone again.

Edit 3: It appeared again, I downloaded it and my Nextcloud instance is running again.

i tried to run the updater on command line and it wouldn’t let me. this is the fails any ideas?

PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/clippy.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/clippy.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/close.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/close.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/comment.png,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/comment.png): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/more.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/more.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/password-white.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/password-white.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/password.png,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/password.png): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/password.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/password.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/pause.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/pause.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930
PHP Warning: rename(/mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/updater-ocwdythscb5a/downloads/nextcloud/core/img/actions/phone.svg,/var/www/nextcloud/updater/…/core/img/actions/phone.svg): Operation not permitted in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 930

Smells like permission issues (file ownerships)

Yeah I came to the same conclusion and went looking at it. Then I did my chmod and chown -R again but for some reason the drive never changed ownership. It stayed set to root. And I was never able to change it. No matter what I did it would not change ownership.
Has anyone ran in to this problem with Ubuntu 22.04?
I’m thinking about going back to Ubuntu 20 I’m not sure tho

Can you post here how EXACTLY you did that?

did you try to chown the complete drive or only the /var/www directory or even only the /var/www/nextcloud/* files and directories?

and/or so:
chown -R www-data.www-data /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data

I did chown -R www-data: www-data /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/
Then I did chmod 750 /mnt/2018BA0A2C80DD9C/DATA/data/

I also did chown -R www-data: www-data /var/www/nextcloud/