19.0.2. to 19.0.3. update failed (Following places cannot be written to:)

Hi, I have a strange behaviour on my nc install. Updater failed from 19.0.2 to 19.0.3.

The return message was: “Following places cannot be written to” with a file list where updater checking before doing its job find unaccessible permission or similar.

I launched the updater using an admin user, so I ask myself why that happening.

OS is Ubuntu 20.04 recently updated.

I was able to update from 18.x to 19.x weeks ago but frankly I check the server rarely so its happen I miss some basic issue to do … any suggestion ?
thank in advance

check permissions of your folders…

This script will set permissions on nextcloud updater directory

drwxr-x---  2 www-data www-data

and all files

-rw-r-----  1 www-data www-data

check line 2, 3 and 4 for setting your Installation directory and web user

#!/bin/bash
ncpath=‘/var/www/nextcloud’ nextcloud installation dir
htuser=‘www-data’ apache or NGINX User
htgroup=‘www-data’ # and Group

printf “chmod Files and Directories\n”
sudo find ${ncpath}/updater/ -type f -print0 | sudo xargs -0 chmod 0640
sudo find ${ncpath}/updater/ -type d -print0 | sudo xargs -0 chmod 0750

sudo chown -R ${htuser}:${htgroup} ${ncpath}/updater/

2 Likes

Hi Vince thanks this evening I’ll check the solution. Is most probably a permission issue. Question is still why it happen ? I mean is not that permissions change by their own :sunglasses:

ahh yes sorry. didn’t read it well. In that case you must check the permissions of the updater directory and files during the update and see whom is writing these files.

Hi Stans, that a good one! This happening should had happen because the wrong user contest I used . Thats some to investigate. I remember there was some difference in the procedure I use the time before when I upgrade from 18 to 19 … There where I’ll check when back from holidays. I’ll keep the tread update if I find the reason and the solution for it.
Tsk
Andrea

Hi fam, I had the same issue. It is an SELinux thing.