(104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server

Hi,

since yesterday my NC is massively disturbed. Only sporadically accessible via web cloud.domain.de. No webdav, no caldav, no carddav, no Joplin sync to the cloud. Nothing.

These are the mistakes that appear umpteen times:

(104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server

End of script output before headers: index.php
(104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request_ipc function

Can someone say something or had the same problem?

thank you

Stefan

Hi,

since yesterday my NC is massively disturbed. Only sporadically accessible via web cloud.domain.de. No webdav, no caldav, no carddav, no Joplin sync to the cloud. Nothing.

These are the mistakes that appear umpteen times:

(104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server

End of script output before headers: index.php
(104) Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: ap_pass_brigade failed in handle_request_ipc function

Can someone say something or had the same problem?

thank you

Stefan

Yes. After upgrade or install of Nextcloud 19 I have this exact error.

(104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
Premature end of script headers: index.php

Sometimes index.php can also be remote.php or other scripts. The rest of the message is always identical.

Server platform:

• CentOS release 6.10 (Final)
  • PHP version 7.3.19, run as FastCGI application
  • Plesk Obsidian, upgrade from Plesk Onyx did not resolve

Cannot run Nextcloud 19 on any domain on this server that Nextcloud 18 works 100% on.

I assume switching PHP to run as PHP-FPM or Apache module would resolve, or at least show us another error message. Problem is, Plesk for Linux only runs PHP7+ as FastCGI (as far as I can tell).

@hokaido are you on Plesk also, and/or CentOS 6 ?

Yes, Plesk here, too. Don`t know which OS they use. It is a shared webspace.

I recently updated some apps, after that I had the problems. I think some of the app updates are buggy with misfunctional processes. My hoster told me that the php time limit kills this the processes. So something is going wrong. I disabled the app and switched to PHP 7.4.

Let`s see if this is sucessfull.

I changed php 7.3 to PHP-FPM and everything is fine. Will try to switch to Php 7.4. Later

Plesk says FPM cannot be enabled with Apache 2.2. From their support team:

“FPM does not work with Apache in the Apache version 2.2, therefore the handler FPM application served by Apache is not available.”

I have to replace CentOS 6.1 with an OS that ships with Apache version 2.4 and allows PHP 7.x over FPM. Which means it’s time for a new server.

Conclusion: Nextcloud 19 hates PHP via FastCGI – on Plesk, at least – where Nextcloud 18 didn’t mind. Replace servers and OS’s accordingly.